How is my box design? (basic) Sketch up screen shot and Torres screen shot

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys just looking for some info on how you think this box will do.

1x 12" type R (1000rms) For a crew cab duramax.

Ive got a kicker amp 1200.1 (got it cheap) When I ordered my type r I accidently ordered a 2 ohm dvc instead of 4.. So my options now are either run at 4 ohm (600rms) or try for 1 ohm.. (not stable) I have very stout electrical.. big 3 0 guage 2 batts and will be getting a second alternator here shortly.

I mostly play dubstep/chillstep. I do NOT want it to be as loud as possible. Mostly looking for low/tight bass. Really thought about making a sealed box but did not think Id be happy with how low it would get

The area I have to work with is 19"x36" and almost 3' tall.

So there is the back ground here are the screen shotsView attachment 26554679View attachment 26554678

I have a DC audio 15" XL that needs a recone.. It was either the alpine or reconing the sub.. The dc i'm saving for my other car.. I got the type R for $140 + 4 year warranty where if I blow it I will get It replaced for free..

I just started getting some of this stuff because I cant beat the discounts on them..

I just recently built a single 12 box with similar dimensions.

It's 32 wide, 15 deep, 14 tall w/ 31.25 sq in of port (2.5 x 12.5) 2 cubes net after sub and 45s tuned to 32 Hz. It's built for an RE SE(v1) but would do well for a Type R I think.

I just recently built a single 12 box with similar dimensions.

It's 32 wide, 15 deep, 14 tall w/ 31.25 sq in of port (2.5 x 12.5) tuned to 32 Hz. It's built for an RE SE(v1) but would do well for a Type R I think.
How did you get that tuned to 32hz? On torres Its not showing that thats even possible with that port size? idk maybe I just do not know how to properly use the program

How did you get that tuned to 32hz? On torres Its not showing that thats even possible with that port size? idk maybe I just do not know how to properly use the program

Never used torres. I have to very carefully use RE's box calculator. I set my height and depth so I keep the same port area and adjust the width to find the numbers I need for a given net air space. The enlarge the actual enclosure to offset the displacement of what I reduced in the calculator.

Thsi comes up identical to RE. Keep in mind that you can't just plug numbers into RE's Box Calc and get correct tuning.

Port Length Calculator

2 cubes, slot port, 32 hz, 2.5 wide by 12.5 tall, 35.26 effective port length. Less end correction factor gives me a 34 inch length down the center of the port.

Never used torres. I have to very carefully use RE's box calculator. I set my height and depth so I keep the same port area and adjust the width to find the numbers I need for a given net air space. The enlarge the actual enclosure to offset the displacement of what I reduced in the calculator.

Thsi comes up identical to RE. Keep in mind that you can't just plug numbers into RE's Box Calc and get correct tuning.

Port Length Calculator

2 cubes, slot port, 32 hz, 2.5 wide by 12.5 tall, 35.26 effective port length. Less end correction factor gives me a 34 inch length down the center of the port.
By adding in more space to make up for the port changes your tuning bud. According to torres you would be at 35.98hz

By adding in more space to make up for the port changes your tuning bud. According to torres you would be at 35.98hz

You're misunderstanding me. I build the box on RE to the net volume (it doesn't calc sub and bracing displacement). Say I plug in a size that gives me a net volume of 2 cubes with 30 sq inches of port and a port length of 30 inches. I then figure up my sub and bracing displacement and add width to the box to offset the difference. Thus keeping my net volume at 2 cubes and port tuning accurate.

Here is the formula used by these calculators.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpsubwoofervented/port_length_equation_fb.php

Port Length Calculator

those arent accurate as torres because they dont account for the space the port takes up and that obviously changes tuning by a lot and you are at much less airspace then 2 cubes. Along with common port walls etc.. You'll have to do a lot of your own calculations

Vs torres where everything is already factored in.

Hey guys just looking for some info on how you think this box will do.1x 12" type R (1000rms) For a crew cab duramax.

Ive got a kicker amp 1200.1 (got it cheap) When I ordered my type r I accidently ordered a 2 ohm dvc instead of 4.. So my options now are either run at 4 ohm (600rms) or try for 1 ohm.. (not stable) I have very stout electrical.. big 3 0 guage 2 batts and will be getting a second alternator here shortly.

I mostly play dubstep/chillstep. I do NOT want it to be as loud as possible. Mostly looking for low/tight bass. Really thought about making a sealed box but did not think Id be happy with how low it would get

The area I have to work with is 19"x36" and almost 3' tall.

So there is the back ground here are the screen shotsView attachment 26554679View attachment 26554678
your port area is a lil low, overall box size is small as well. put 3 in common port walls since its a regular L slot port.

those arent accurate as torres because they dont account for the space the port takes up and that obviously changes tuning by a lot and you are at much less airspace then 2 cubes.
Vs torres where everything is already factored in.
1.63 ft^3 before all the bracing and extra displacement from the corner/round over

I'm sorry but you're incorrect. Not counting the area inside the box at the end of the port I'm 2.02 cubic feet.

The large part of the inside chamber is 27.25x12.5x10.5. Even if I remove the end correction factor from the enclosure I'm just under 2.2 before sub and 45s.

View attachment 26554684This is what I got but like I said not sure if I am using torres right.. But thats why I am here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I'm not sure as I've never used Torres but I'm doing pencil and paper math using the physical measurements of the inside of the box and it lines up perfectly with what any port calculator tells me. So I can't help with using Torres but I wanted to share what I did recently since dimensionally it fit nicely where you have space.

I'm sorry but both of you are incorrect. Not counting the area inside the box at the end of the port I'm 2.02 cubic feet.
The large part of the inside chamber is 27.25x12.5x10.5. Even if I remove the end correction factor from the enclosure I'm just under 2.2 before sub and 45s.
nope he just doesnt know how to use the program properly. As said, most noobs dont know all the proper displacement calculations needed hence other online calculators such as RE, 12 volt or the one you used that require actual pen and paper knowledge will leave them hanging. All the calculations you did can be summed up and finished within 30 seconds to a minute tops with torres starting from scratch with just max dimensions. I've come from pen and paper too, torres and xplicit audio's calculator is the way to go nowadays.

CJhy3.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.