How important is preamp voltage?

It's not extremely important, it's dependent on the quality of the headunit. I'm pretty sure a 2 volt Alpine pre-out is still better than a 32 volt Boss pre-out. Higher voltage pre-outs can help with noise rejection. Which, in turn, can help prevent some subtleties from being lost.

Ok, the alpine I was looking at had just about everything i wanted, but it was the one that had the 2v pre out...but it has still came closer to perfect than any others thats why i was curious

I guess I should have stated that Im looking for one which is a dvd player as well, haha. Also with a WVGA resolution.
AFAIK there is no DVD player that has >2V pre outs. Personally I use the last model Jensens since they have 5.1 surround.

Most amps perform fine off a 2V signal, if not buy a line driver/pre-amp (I used to run one for my sub amp...28$ PG from sonicelectronics...worked fine) and I have always had strong suspicions that the pre out voltage numbers aren't always terribly accurate on HUs anyway.

I'm currently running a JVC AVX-820. Picked it up last year because I wanted 4+ volt pre-outs, blue tooth, and title/artist/song displayed for Sirius. After some research, my only real option was a large screen (DVD player or Nav unit). Because I travel a lot and my car ends up at various airports and other unattended areas for days at a time, detachable face was a must.

Turns out that JVC was my only option at the time, and it turned out to be a pretty good one. No, it isn't a high end SQ deck, but it sure as heck is a fine "daily driver" deck. Pre-out voltage is good (5v I believe), the display looks good, and the fact that blue tooth and iPod control was built in vs. an external boxes made install much easier.

I'm pretty sure the 820 is gonna be hard to find, but the 830 is $475ish and well worth it.

I'm about to drop in an Eclipse single DIN flip-out with 8v pre-outs.

And nothing's particularly wrong with Alpine, but with the ones I've seen and used, they pretty much all have the same features until you get their top of the line model. That and after getting used to my Eclipse, I couldn't stand my old Alpine when it went back in. But generally I'd say Pioneer is better than Alpine, so long as you don't blow the Pico fuse, Alpine is generally around the same as Kenwood or JVC, all of which are way better than Boss and the like, but a few brands like Eclipse just stand out above Alpine.

Your whole setup matters though when picking a headunit. I've found high voltage pre-outs to be more helpful to mids/highs than to subs. If you're running your mids/highs off the headunit's internal amplifier, I wouldn't worry about high volt pre-outs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.