How important is preamp voltage?

Preamp voltage is somewhat important if you're running long RCAs from the front to the back of your install. If you have 12-foot+ RCA's, I would like something more than 2V pre-outs to prevent too much voltage drop. The more you have to turn up the gain on your amps, the more chance of noise being introduced, hence the higher pre-out voltage. A line driver accomplishes the same thing, as mentioned in the post above.

Kenwood and Pioneer both have the best options I've found for less than $600 in DVD. After that point, you can get into some of the more higher quality units with more features.

JVC has a lot of bang for the buck, along with Kenwood but be sure to look for a unit with a good EQ if you need one. A lot of them only have preset EQ's with "rock", "rap", etc instead of a real EQ.

The problem with all of this is that the ONLY way to know for sure would be to have two headunits that are identical in every way including the pre-amp stage, but have different pre-amp outputs... because this is a contradiction, there's no real way to know for sure. It'll help a bit with noise rejection is the main thing, but unless you listen to music real quietly you won't notice such a small amount or rejection.

Thanks a lot. All of this has been a big help. I was looking at Eclipse, but the screen resolution wasn't high enough on them for me. The alpine ina-w900 is the one im looking at and as far as i can tell the only thing it didnt have that i was interested in was the high voltage preouts. It even has an LED backlit screen which makes a huge difference, at least in tvs it does.

If you want the BEST in SQ and resolution, you'd need to run two separate units, one for sound and one for video.

In that case you would use a 15" flip-down screen

An in-dash CD player/tuner for better SQ

and a separate in-dash DVD player to connect to the screen.

Use the CD player/tuner for music and such

Use an aux input to connect the DVD player to your CD player if you listen to movies

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.