How far can you go on stock alt?

AwesomeStranger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, I'm currently running two sa-8 v2's on a apsm-1500. Love the setup, but I might just want more power/different setup sometime soon.

Anyways my 2004 lancer oz rally has a 90 amp alt stock. AT 1/0 big three, brandnew yellowtop under the hood and Knu 4 guage to the amp.

Obviously if I go to say 2-3k rms I'll need 1/2 runs of 1/0, battery(s) in the rear, and possibly a new alt.

Well my question for you guys is, how far on power can I go with a stock 90 amp alt? I found this alt on ebay and it's 180 amps.. Should I have a custom alt made for me?

High Output Alternator Mitsubishi Mirage 1 8L Lancer 2 0L 4CYL 2002 2004 180Amp | eBay

I was thinking either getting 2 batts in the rear and keeping my stock alt, or getting this and yellowtop for the rear.

My future setup will probably consist of a single custom sundown Z 12 v3 with NS2 coils/cone upgrade and a 2.5-3k rms amp.

Ideas?

I run a crescendo bc3500 on 2 dd3512.s with all at 1/0 big 3 deka under the hood stock 125 alt..voltage drop isnt too bad..and i wouldnt buy that alt..i dobt cobsider 180a a ho alt
You don't have a rear battery? 180 amps is a lot better than 90 lol. I guess I just feel limited with 90 amp alt. Yes before you say it I will be having this car for a while, got to pay it off in a few years time so I'm not worried about getting an alt and not being able to sell it later.

Would it be worth my time to go to a junkyard and pull an alt like mine and have some company beef it up?

Yea i got a deka under the hood and a deka in the back..and if your gona.keep the car save up and buy a good al like dc tenney ea mechman .something like that...that rubicon must be a inefficient power hog

About 10 years ago I ran 2 Kickker 800.2's and a 800.4(Class a+b's -2700rms total birthsheets) on a 80a alt, single batt. Was loud as fug. Lights dimmed but thats all it did. Also ran a modded mtx 1501d and the same 4ch, just voltage drops, none to an unsafe level.

Im running an saz3000 and 2-12" custom zv3s, I have a kinetik hc1800 under the hood kinetik hc2000 in the trunk, zero gauge big 3, 2 runs of zero gauge from front batt to rear on a stock 90 amp alt and my volts will drop to 10 at ease at fult tilt ive even seen it drop in the 9s!! Obviously I dont play it like that, but I did order a 200 amp alt that should be here next week. Get the biggest alt you can fit in your car and go with a well known brand!

So I e-mailed Tenny alts and here's the response:

220 amps does abou 140idle

$325 Free powder coating

Lifetime warranty

Takes up to 3 weeks to build this type of unit i have to custom make the stator for high amp

Is there anything wrong with that ebay alt I posted in the OP?

Im running an saz3000 and 2-12" custom zv3s, I have a kinetik hc1800 under the hood kinetik hc2000 in the trunk, zero gauge big 3, 2 runs of zero gauge from front batt to rear on a stock 90 amp alt and my volts will drop to 10 at ease at fult tilt ive even seen it drop in the 9s!! Obviously I dont play it like that, but I did order a 200 amp alt that should be here next week. Get the biggest alt you can fit in your car and go with a well known brand!
Da*m that's low lol. How do you like the Z v.3's? I'm sorta wanting just one, but depending on funds I might get two..

Check out singer alts, they are said to be good. I have looked into it and he makes a 240amp alt for my 09 lancer(150 idle). So im sure he would make one for your car. He said it only takes a day or 2 to build. Send him a email, he replies quick.

You don't have a rear battery? 180 amps is a lot better than 90 lol. I guess I just feel limited with 90 amp alt. Yes before you say it I will be having this car for a while, got to pay it off in a few years time so I'm not worried about getting an alt and not being able to sell it later.
Would it be worth my time to go to a junkyard and pull an alt like mine and have some company beef it up?
If you're going to have the car for a long time. I would just have one of the great HO alt companies build you one. It'll run around $400, but much more reliability and performance for a car that's going to be around a while. I'd look into DC Power, Excessive Amperage, Ohio Generator, and Singer Alternators.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.