how do I set gain with dmm

sicilianiggy

nj
My interiors are 100w rms but my amp is only 60x4. I have burned 100w speakers out with this amp before by setting gains to high.

I dont get how I did it tho. If the amp is supposed to push 60 and speakers push 100 how's that mess things up.

Is it correct to set my meter to ac....set radio 75%... remove the positive speaker wires. ...and raise gain till I hit 100?...sorry its not 100...I forgot I did calculations the other day and I think it came out to 20. But whatever the calculations are do I just raise the gain till I hit that number.

Brand and models of your equipment? I'll be tuned in to see this for myself.
Front components ..Infinity perfect 6.5

Rears are alpine. .not sure the model. Front and back 100rms 4 ohm

amp is Rockford punch p450.4. 60x4 rms @4. Or 120x4 @2

Headunit is Pioneer p1400pdvd

You play a 1000hz test tone at 75% volume with the speakers unplugged and turn the gain till you hit 15.49 volts. You burned the other speakers out because you were sending a distorted signal to them.

You play a 1000hz test tone at 75% volume with the speakers unplugged and turn the gain till you hit 15.49 volts. You burned the other speakers out because you were sending a distorted signal to them.
That's 15.49 ac correct? What do you mean I sent a distorted signal?

Yes. I mean if you're amp is rated for 60 watts x4 and the number goes to 20v that equals 100 watts those 40 more watts are mostly distorted clipped sound waves that will burn up your speakers.

and what do you do if you have a deck that can go higher then 75%without clipping

and what do you do if you have a deck that can go higher then 75%without clipping
under This method you would set your head unit to where you know it is not clipping and raise your gain until you get the 15.49 volts. Same process. Your matching your amp to your head units max volume you play it at

I'd still use 75% to have some head room for example if a song is recorded quieter you've got some more volume to turn up instead of being stuck at 100% volume.

this 1khz test tone.........what amplitude is it recorded at? 0db, -3db, -6db, -9db, -12db, -15db???????

this 1khz test tone.........what amplitude is it recorded at? 0db' date=' -3db, -6db, -9db, -12db, -15db???????[/quote']
0db if you want to be super safe, but most music isn't recorded at 0db I believe most people use - 3 dB and - 6 dB. Personally I used -7dB and I'm happy with that. No clipping so far and if a song is recorded louder I'll just not turn it up as much.

So after all this trouble, you're still relying on your ears, some common sense, and the volume knob.
Of course. In a perfect world all songs would be recorded equal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.