How do I get my capacitor working?

godisanatheist
10+ year member

canada
I have an old Phoenix Gold capacitor. It's already connected in my car. Ground to cap to amp. Power wire from battery to cap to amp.

However its discharged if i am not mistaken. How do I go upon charging this properly? I dont have a test light btw and I checked local stores, nothing.

I do have a multimeter... how would I do this?

I need it man. Im running a PG 600.2 amp to its full potential with a 2ohm load. That **** demands power like a muhfucca
The capacitor is gonna do more harm than good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Seriously? You guys wanna explain?

Would it ave any negative effect if I left it in?

from the PG site regarding my amp: "If you want to run the amp 2 ohms bridged, go for it. Just understand that it will run slightly hotter and will pull more current from your car to make those musical peaks (add more capacitors and use thick gauge power/ground wire). I wouldn't recommend running it 1 ohm bridged. The amp will shut down (red LED) if the output current gets too high (looks like a shorted speaker). "

"Also, lowering the impedance will cause the amplifier to demand more current. This often leads to a drop in voltage from your car's electrical system. The drop in voltage puts stress on the power supply of any amp. That's why thick power/ground wire and an appropriate size capacitor are a must for high power applications to keep voltage from fluctuating."

"The ZXti amplifiers have a very loosely regulated power supply and lots of headroom for musical peaks. These musical peaks demand high instantaneous current from the car's electrical system so a good power delivery system including stiffening capacitors is highly recommended. At high volume on the edge of audible distortion, a loosely regulated design will clip softer and keep a warmer, less brittle sound. However, it does cost more to build a loosely regulated design. Thus the difference in price. We added the cooling fans to the ZXti amps because of the extra heat generated from this type of design. It's either the fan or a larger aluminum heatsink and if there's one thing today's market demands, it's big power in a small size."

Capacitors charge and discharge at such a rapid rate that they actually tax the alternator. You may notice less dimming, but you'll hurt your alternator in the long run. Just sell it and get a Kinetic HC-600 or something like that!

Seriously? You guys wanna explain?
Would it ave any negative effect if I left it in?

from the PG site regarding my amp: "If you want to run the amp 2 ohms bridged, go for it. Just understand that it will run slightly hotter and will pull more current from your car to make those musical peaks (add more capacitors and use thick gauge power/ground wire). I wouldn't recommend running it 1 ohm bridged. The amp will shut down (red LED) if the output current gets too high (looks like a shorted speaker). "

"Also, lowering the impedance will cause the amplifier to demand more current. This often leads to a drop in voltage from your car's electrical system. The drop in voltage puts stress on the power supply of any amp. That's why thick power/ground wire and an appropriate size capacitor are a must for high power applications to keep voltage from fluctuating."

"The ZXti amplifiers have a very loosely regulated power supply and lots of headroom for musical peaks. These musical peaks demand high instantaneous current from the car's electrical system so a good power delivery system including stiffening capacitors is highly recommended. At high volume on the edge of audible distortion, a loosely regulated design will clip softer and keep a warmer, less brittle sound. However, it does cost more to build a loosely regulated design. Thus the difference in price. We added the cooling fans to the ZXti amps because of the extra heat generated from this type of design. It's either the fan or a larger aluminum heatsink and if there's one thing today's market demands, it's big power in a small size."
Phoenix Gold rep.........

"..The audio industry is the only place i know of where you can publish specs that show your product is useless and still be able to sell them------and whats worse is that technically ignorant people will argue against the math!!!!!!!"

Do the big 3 and call it a day. With 4 ga wiring in the big 3 you will improve your electrical 100x what the cap doesn't do (at least 100x) though I would run 1/0 for future installs if bigger is needed down the road.)

Do the big 3 and call it a day. With 4 ga wiring in the big 3 you will improve your electrical 100x what the cap doesn't do (at least 100x) though I would run 1/0 for future installs if bigger is needed down the road.)
1/0 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.