How are car stereo competitions measured?

OP, you're losing a lot of output by having so little space around/between the box and the opening to the cabin. Also that amp will die from vibration mounted to your box.
That camry is hard to get good numbers from.
The Orion amp is attached to an amp rack and not the box. On the front side is the Orion amp and on the rear is an Audio Pipe 2000 watt 4 channel (it's really 100watt rms x4). I was wondering about the space too. I saw everyone else in the competition had thier box facing towards the cab. My box is pushed up against the back seat with the amp rack built into that space between the backseat a and the trunk (where the box is pushed up against). Some people on here said that in thier setup that the box is actually louder facing the trunk. I guess from the bass reverb maybe. I was thinking of having the speakers face the rear and have the port face the inside of the car and I t would also keep the amps cool if I needed it.

The Orion amp is attached to an amp rack and not the box. On the front side is the Orion amp and on the rear is an Audio Pipe 2000 watt 4 channel (it's really 100watt rms x4). I was wondering about the space too. I saw everyone else in the competition had thier box facing towards the cab. My box is pushed up against the back seat with the amp rack built into that space between the backseat a and the trunk (where the box is pushed up against). Some people on here said that in thier setup that the box is actually louder facing the trunk. I guess from the bass reverb maybe. I was thinking of having the speakers face the rear and have the port face the inside of the car and I t would also keep the amps cool if I needed it.
Mine did well subs firing to the rear and port forward but mounting your amp there is definitely blocking the sound from getting up front. If you don't have a meter you'll never really know, but I'd suggest dismount the amp and lay it down on the back seats and you should notice a difference.

145.1 is a solid trunk score.
What was equipment? Sorry if i missed it
I've got 2 12" black coil HCCAs 2 ohm, HCCA 8k at 2 ohm putting out 6,100 watts Audio Pipe 2004 2000watt (really 100w rms x4) for mids and highs Fosgate Power T2652-s components up front and Fosgate Power T1 6x9s in the rear and Kenwood double din, can't think of the model name 2 XS Power 3100ds and 300 amp alt from Ohio Genarator 4ott OFC power wire and 0 gauge for everything else except mids and highs amp which is 4 gauge OFC.

Mine did well subs firing to the rear and port forward but mounting your amp there is definitely blocking the sound from getting up front. If you don't have a meter you'll never really know, but I'd suggest dismount the amp and lay it down on the back seats and you should notice a difference.
I don't want to do that. I need everything hidden in the trunk. This is my daily driver.

I don't want to do that. I need everything hidden in the trunk. This is my daily driver.
I get that, the point is get it out of the way temporarily to see how much you're losing from having it mounted there then plan a new strategy around that.

I get that, the point is get it out of the way temporarily to see how much you're losing from having it mounted there then plan a new strategy around that.
Ok gotcha. i had a shop install the amps and subs with the box. What's a really good trunk score to shoot for? I like the way it sounds now SQ wise. I'm going to take it to Slamology this year and am knew wondering what I'm up against.

Ok gotcha. i had a shop install the amps and subs with the box. What's a really good trunk score to shoot for? I like the way it sounds now SQ wise. I'm going to take it to Slamology this year and am knew wondering what I'm up against.
If you want to be competitive you had best scratch any thought of being able to play music. IIRC I was just a couple tenths shy of 150 in my Camry with two 15" TC-2000's on an old Stetsom 7k. In retrospect, I think I'd have done better with a single 15 as the trunk was very crowded.

I'd say 150 out of a trunk is pretty impressive, even 148 is quite respectable.

If you are serious about competing you MUST own or have access to a meter for testing.

After 20yrs of going to competitions, i can say I have been doing it wrong. I know now, its not about winning or losing, its about the friends you make at these events. Yes some people are arrogant ******** and some are just a big *****. Most have been pretty good. Just learn to have fun at the events and hang out with some of the same people like yourself.

If you are serious about competing you MUST own or have access to a meter for testing.
Absolutely.

If you're going to compete, either find a friend that owns one and doesn't mind bringing it over when you need it, or buy one. I did the first to begin with, but ended up buying a Termlab so I could test when *I* wanted to test.

In my area, anything 145 and up in the trunk class I run in (sealed, 0-2500 watts) will for the most part guarantee you a top 3 finish. In the outlaw class I run in, 150 will get you top 3 every time, and 1st a lot of the time.

I disagree about the music thing though. I compete (successfully so far), and still play music just fine. Car does (so far) a 147.8 sealed, 150.3 outlaw, and WILL do a 150 sealed before this season is over. I just use two different ports. One for the meter, and one for daily.

After 20yrs of going to competitions, i can say I have been doing it wrong. I know now, its not about winning or losing, its about the friends you make at these events. Yes some people are arrogant ******** and some are just a big *****. Most have been pretty good. Just learn to have fun at the events and hang out with some of the same people like yourself.
Best advice yet.

Absolutely.
If you're going to compete, either find a friend that owns one and doesn't mind bringing it over when you need it, or buy one. I did the first to begin with, but ended up buying a Termlab so I could test when *I* wanted to test.

In my area, anything 145 and up in the trunk class I run in (sealed, 0-2500 watts) will for the most part guarantee you a top 3 finish. In the outlaw class I run in, 150 will get you top 3 every time, and 1st a lot of the time.

I disagree about the music thing though. I compete (successfully so far), and still play music just fine. Car does (so far) a 147.8 sealed, 150.3 outlaw, and WILL do a 150 sealed before this season is over. I just use two different ports. One for the meter, and one for daily.
How do you compete in 0-2500W class with two 2k amps?

Do LMK when you get sealed at the dash 50 with a box that plays music.

Absolutely.

What is outlaw and sealed competition and how do you use 2 ports. Also if I cut a hole in my rear deck the size of my port, will that knock me out of trunk class?

What is outlaw and sealed competition and how do you use 2 ports. Also if I cut a hole in my rear deck the size of my port, will that knock me out of trunk class?
Sealed is sensor on the windshield, doors/windows shut. Outlaw is door open, sensor in the kick.

I use aero ports. It's as simple as removing screws and changing them out. 8 inch port for metering, 6 inch for daily.

As for your last question, I don't know....Depends on the org.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.