Amps turning off

Participant count
  • Participant list

West1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
07 frontier, fsd 125.4 and saz1000.1

Amps are grounded to chasis and double din HU is also grounded to chasis. Ive had the system hooked up for a couple of years, no real issues aside from fsd amp having bad rca solder when purchased.

About 2 months ago my system would randomly power down with HU still on (any volume), it would never power down on a rhythm (bump, brake, accelerate etc). The past week, it seems to shutoff at half volume and will not last a full song.

I pulled on all wires to see if anything is loose, RCA's, ground, opened doors to see if 6x9 wiring was undone... empty. One by one I pulled the fuse to amps at the battery, still shuts off with either amp playing.

Multimeter to XSpower3400 reads 13.86 at the lowest with music full blast.

If I play the music under 40%, it seems to last longer.

Any other suggestions?

Mechman 270 is on order and on its way.

The only thing I recently did was start my big3 and this was roughly a week ago. The only wire I replaced was the Engine to Chasis, could this be the culprit??

tyvm

sorry for the delayed reply @West1, try running a small wire from the positive terminal of the amp to the remote input. do it for both amps that have the problem.

take out and tape up the remote wire for now. your amps will be on all the time while you test it to see if the amps still shut down.

if they dont turn off anymore you have a problem with the remote input wires or their voltage coming from the headunit.

also what headunit/loc

Im running a pioneer nex4100. Grounded rcas (wrapped) and also put a bypass.

I'll try and do that tomorrow. Is this something I can test on the fwy without worry I'll messup the amps? So far, no blown fuses at the battery or from any amps. They go into protect mode or it could be the ground wire. Since both amps turn on and off at the same time, I don't think its the remote wire but i will still try

Im running a pioneer nex4100. Grounded rcas (wrapped) and also put a bypass.
I'll try and do that tomorrow. Is this something I can test on the fwy without worry I'll messup the amps? So far, no blown fuses at the battery or from any amps. They go into protect mode or it could be the ground wire. Since both amps turn on and off at the same time, I don't think its the remote wire but i will still try
Why do you think its not remote wire ? Thats what it does right ? Unless your running two remote wires to different sorces then I would agree with you. And jumping between amp power and remote at the amp wont hurt any thing I usually just use one of my test leads - you know the ones with alligator clips on both ends, just clip it on and see if amp shuts down still. If it still shuts down prob ground or a bad connection on Poss power lead.

Id finish that Big 3 up, as it may play a roll in keeping that battery maintained.How old is your battery?Im running at min 2 AGMs with Big 3 2ga with a stock alt@90 amp and ELD bypass in my CRV,and does fine.I feel like your battery bank/supply is not enough for the demand or has gotten weak and in need of replacement.Easy enough to let it set over night resting and then take it and have it tested for free at most Auto stores.Alt may be weak as well??Deff need that portion of the Big3 on that alt to battery.Get that finished up as it plays a major roll for your supply for the demand.

I kinda feel like those amps may be ******* that battery dry before its charging back up and amps going into protect/shutting down?Possibly

I don't think its remote wire because they ran one on each side. I'll check my positive leads again. I looked at them over the weekend and they looked well screwed in, no stands coming out or signs of overuse.

I tried having the radio on low today and moving wires, nothing turned off (I don't want to turn loud at the house).

I agree then if there is two remote wires they wouldnt both shut off unless the two seprate wires are joined at the dash taped off same source. How do poss leads look at the battery ? and check fuse holders two - I had one melt inside and give intermitten power on and off. Check on grounds too esp if both amps are grounded to same spot. Check battery(s) and alt output as @audiobaun said too.

Battery is 3 months old at tops. Alt is stock 2007 atl and will be replacing hopefully with in a week or 2.

Big three got delayed because the frontier has a 1/2 inch diameter sensor I can't pass between batt neg and engine block. I tried to slither a 0 gauge but after an hour my fingers and brain gave up lol. Ordered 1 gauge (not 1/0 gauge) to fill that and it's in my possession. Just no extra time.

I'll try and finish big 3 this weekend.

Positive on low and highs looked good. As I said, I'll double check tomorrow.

The one thing you mention was the fuse holders. One does have a burned mark on it. I purchased a roll of 0 gauge and plan to replace the 2 gauge wire to amps with the 0 gauge. Again, time has not been friendly. Im using 100amp fuse per amp at the battery as the fuses on the amp are just under 100amps. I also purchased new fuse holders and will swap the cylinder 100 fuses for the anl fuses.

Also, not sure if the remote wires on the amp meet up, I'll have to pay attention when I have a look tomorrow.

Tyvm for the help guys, I appreciate it. It's also doing my brain in lol

Battery is 3 months old at tops. Alt is stock 2007 atl and will be replacing hopefully with in a week or 2.Big three got delayed because the frontier has a 1/2 inch diameter sensor I can't pass between batt neg and engine block. I tried to slither a 0 gauge but after an hour my fingers and brain gave up lol. Ordered 1 gauge (not 1/0 gauge) to fill that and it's in my possession. Just no extra time.

I'll try and finish big 3 this weekend.

Positive on low and highs looked good. As I said, I'll double check tomorrow.

The one thing you mention was the fuse holders. One does have a burned mark on it. I purchased a roll of 0 gauge and plan to replace the 2 gauge wire to amps with the 0 gauge. Again, time has not been friendly. Im using 100amp fuse per amp at the battery as the fuses on the amp are just under 100amps. I also purchased new fuse holders and will swap the cylinder 100 fuses for the anl fuses.

Also, not sure if the remote wires on the amp meet up, I'll have to pay attention when I have a look tomorrow.

Tyvm for the help guys, I appreciate it. It's also doing my brain in lol
That's not good. Usually indicates a loose connection.

Also....how is your gain set? Having the gain set too high/turned up too high has the possibility to shut amps off during operation.

Feel those big 3 wires. Are they warm to touch? Well on second thought, kinda hard to answer being they're in the engine bay. But where I'm getting at is if the wires are warm to touch, means your running a lot of current thru there and need bigger wiring...thus choking your amps watts and leading to amp shut downs. I think audiobaun and losisatool hit it on the head tho.

That's not good. Usually indicates a loose connection.
Also....how is your gain set? Having the gain set too high/turned up too high has the possibility to shut amps off during operation.

Feel those big 3 wires. Are they warm to touch? Well on second thought, kinda hard to answer being they're in the engine bay. But where I'm getting at is if the wires are warm to touch, means your running a lot of current thru there and need bigger wiring...thus choking your amps watts and leading to amp shut downs. I think audiobaun and losisatool hit it on the head tho.
Tbh, I don't remember how my gain is set. Once I set it a couple years ago, I never touched it again. I'll assume low is set around 60% and highs around 80-90%. I'll take a look on lunch today. I will check the temp of the big 3 wires or at least the stock of big3 after I drive home with the radio on.

On my way to work today (25min), I kept my volume at 10 (bumping is at a volume of 24 from the stock volume of 32). It never turned off. I tried to make every turn sharp, accelerate and hard braking... no signs of distress.

you have watched the voltage at the amp inputs when the conditions occurred correct? this should be relatively easy to figure out as soon as you check the remote wire setup i mentioned and the voltages

you have watched the voltage at the amp inputs when the conditions occurred correct? this should be relatively easy to figure out as soon as you check the remote wire setup i mentioned and the voltages

No I have not, it has never shut down while hooked up to a multimeter.

Got swamped with things to do today, I plan to unplug the remote wires to both amps and jump the positive wire to the remote input before I go to work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.