How are car stereo competitions measured?

Meter position plays a role too. I used to do Meca and DbDrag and dash certainly acts differant than headrest
my last system didd decent on the dash but hammered on the head rest.. it was one of those systems that sounded stupid loud and metered OK on the dash but it was LOUD at the head rest..

Ive got 2 Orion 12" HCCA 2ohm 2,500 rms 5,000 max watts with a box taking up my entire trunk of a 99 Camery. The back of the box is pushed up against the back seat with an amp rack inbetween. I've got an HCCA 8k at 2 ohms putting out a total of 6100 watts to both speakers. He front of the box has about 5 inches between the rubbers of the subs and the inside rear of the car. I'll see if I can post some picks with my iPad.
nice stuff., i used to sell orion stuff long time ago.. i never had any luck with subs firing into cabin either.. just today i put port on side of my box and sounds louder but may just be deeper lower tuning, gonna test what sounds best and get box made probably with round port, since it can be changed.. wow that is a good sized box..

[quote name='TRaGiK']Not necessarily.

Sub/port forward with the box slid back, is the second loudest setup in my car. Sub up port forward is the loudest. Sub/port forward, sealed off from the trunk, is by far the worst setup for DB in my car. Lost 3 DB.[/QUOTE]

So sealed off from the trunk, did you seal off the rear deck as well? there's a lot of gaps and cracks in the rear deck that will fk a sealed trunk wall's performance badly.

Thats actually how terry brock's 162 db trunk setup is like. Sub and port back is for musical demos but for numbers, I see sub up port forward to the cabin box pushed all the way against the trunk is the loudest. I'm wondering if you made a wave guide covering up the sides sealing off the sides and the back side walls/wheel wells and angling it like a large horn, and see if thet would give any gains. Kinda like this. @mlstrass your thoughts?

hWbQ94T.png

So sealed off from the trunk, did you seal off the rear deck as well? there's a lot of gaps and cracks in the rear deck that will fk a sealed trunk wall's performance badly.
Thats actually how terry brock's 162 db trunk setup is like. Sub and port back is for musical demos but for numbers, I see sub up port forward to the cabin box pushed all the way against the trunk is the loudest.
Yup. Sealed the rear deck, sealed around the box with spray foam, sealed every fking where. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to get spray foam off? Took me a day to foam and seal everything. I'm STILL getting foam out of places, and it's been ~2 months since I pulled the crap back out. lol

I misspoke earlier. I said sub/port forward slid back was the second loudest. It was not. Sub up/port back was second loudest.

Sub/port forward, sealed off, sounded the best out of everything I've tried, but metered awful. Sub up/port back was the second best sounding. Sub up port forward doesn't sound the best, but it doesn't sound awful either. I'm still running a musical box, not a burp box. Port is external.

Facing towards the trunk was loud but sloppy.

Facing towards the front and pushed the closest to the cabin was quieter but more accurate.

Facing towards the front but sealed to the cabin was louder and more accurate

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have a 94 camry. One SSA Icon 12 on 1k. Facing forward and sealed from the trunk. hit like 138 last i checked. i 100% recommend facing them forward and sealing them off. its a SIGNIFICANT gain in spl.
also roll your windows down. it'll be louder.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/631259-camry-kicks-tweeter-waveguide.html

link to my sorta build log.
I highly recommend 3 more 12s and a wall //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.