HO Alternator Problem???

Participant count
  • Participant list

MemphisLove
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Just got my quality power 220amp alt on my forenza today and I dont think its right.

Dig big 2 so far power to alt, bat neg chasis. will do engine block to chasis, via the chasis-bat neg connection tomm.

Started my car and drove maybe ten miles to my house from my guy house who installed it. Put my volt meter on at the battery terminals with the car running. no ac no extra hard current draw going on car batts at 13.8 and by the time it sopped dropping over a period of a minute the charge stayed at 12.59-12.60.

isnt it suppose to be there with the car off and around atleast 13.8 with the car on??

If it's dropping to around battery resting voltage while running (without a huge load on it) then it might either be slipping, faulty or somethings not connected.

Quality power is supposed to be pretty good and I just put one in my truck last night...seemed to be fine on a test drive with voltage around 14.2 (no load) and about 13.8 with everything on.

New alternator. Usually, they requires a higher RPM to start the charging. Mine starts at 1000rpm, my car idles at 500rpm. but, My alternator charges from 1000rpm to 2500rpm. At 2500 rpm I get full charge potential.

Also you need to take increased drag on the engine into consideration. That can even further diminish the alternators out put capabilities.

You need to beef up the wires all at the same time. 1/0 pos from the alternator to the battery. 1/0 neg from the block to the battery

1/0 neg from battery to the chasis.

just finsihed the last engine to chassis connection

Talked to quality power and they said with the increase in amps comes a decrease in volts????

i proped my gas petal to get a constant 3000 rpm and my voltage was smack dab 14.40

I think my rpm might b a lil low so hopefully the second battery will help during idle situations.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.