Hmmm DSP?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Stupid.
If the speakers aren't capable, no matter how much you tune it... they STILL won't be capable.

nG
I wouldn't say that's true at all. In a car environment, oftentimes, the car's interior easily makes more of a difference than the quality of the components. It's not uncommon for people to ask why their stock speakers sound so much worse when they just spent $500 on a new hu. The answer being the built in processing in the hu, built for those incredibly cheap speakers within that car.

What a speaker is capable of is VERY install dependent. While many agree with this in the SPL arena (single small woofers hitting 160's), this is also true in SQ. A aftermarket speaker may have a smooth responce inherently, whereas a cheap woofer may not, but if the car gives you a nasty peak at 2k, well the cheap speaker with a DSP can EQ out not only it's own imperfections, but the interior issues too! You can't beat a good isntall, and a DSP is a very powerful install tool.

A decent stock system that has been T/A'd, phase corrected, and EQ'ed will probably sound better than 90% of the aftermarket systems on the roads today.

I wouldn't say that's true at all. In a car environment, oftentimes, the car's interior easily makes more of a difference than the quality of the components. It's not uncommon for people to ask why their stock speakers sound so much worse when they just spent $500 on a new hu. The answer being the built in processing in the hu, built for those incredibly cheap speakers within that car.
What a speaker is capable of is VERY install dependent. While many agree with this in the SPL arena (single small woofers hitting 160's), this is also true in SQ. A aftermarket speaker may have a smooth responce inherently, whereas a cheap woofer may not, but if the car gives you a nasty peak at 2k, well the cheap speaker with a DSP can EQ out not only it's own imperfections, but the interior issues too! You can't beat a good isntall, and a DSP is a very powerful install tool
Well duh.

My statement still stands. If the SPEAKER isn't capable, the DSP isn't going to make it capable.

I agree with your other statements though.

nG

Even if it did, just think what the morels would sound like......... Regardless DSP's arent' a new thing, people have using them in cars for years, on very expensive speakers.

The stereo will cost $700 (€526) to $1,000 (€751) installed, depending on the make of the car, and will be available only at dealers, since the chip requires programming (via a CD) to match the make of the car.

I followed the link below the article.

For that much I'd get a h701 or p9. More tuning options, but I guess if you dont' know what your doing, this would be a good solution.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.