Hey....Type R, need some opinions

Phatillusion
5,000+ posts

Banned
My brother just ordered a pair of 12" Type R's. I got some info on them, and saw they are 300 Wrms. I think he wants to go sealed, he is interested in SPL, I don't really think he is that worried about SQ, but he probably wants some. What do you all think? Any experiences, should I exceed the 300 wRMS? By how much? The recommended sealed box size is .7 to 1 ft/\3. Should I go bigger. I probably have about 3 ft/\3 to work with. I know I should probably build a couple test boxes. But, I don't have much time.

Here is some help for those of you with programs:

Vas 58 Liters

Fs 27 hz

Qts .38

I'm thinking you could throw about 450 rms into those subs and be fine, maybe a little more if needed, but just watch the gains. They are not specifically designed for SPL, but they can produce some good numbers with the right setup. An all around good sub...

Yes, I would sudgest bracing it, if you have it in a box where the walls are rather far away from the hole. You can also try to use some fiberglass on the inside by corners and the top surface where the sub will be mounted. Have you thought about porting it? That would increase ouput a great deal. Good luck.

well, you could put way over that power to them if you wanted...but i don't reccomend ported...i personally hate the way type r's sound in ported...but thats your decision...you could probably put 600 watts into that sub with no problems...i am running 1060 watts to my type r 15 and i havent had any probs....just don't be a gain master....i think they sound a whole lot better and can still be loud in a sealed box.

hey wait a minute. if your bro wanted more spl then why did he buy the sealed? cause ported will give him more spl...i dont know maybe you covered this somewhere above.

Originally posted by Inferno13 hey wait a minute. if your bro wanted more spl then why did he buy the sealed? cause ported will give him more spl...i dont know maybe you covered this somewhere above.
He didn't buy a box, I am building him one. He doesn't want a ported box. I'm just trying to figure out what everybody else has (did they go with the recommended sealed box size (.7-1 ft/\3) or did they go bigger)

I was thinking about going with 2.3 to 2.5 ft/\3.

Originally posted by HX2 Would a JBL 1200 be too much power for 2 12" type r's in about a 2.65 cubs per chamber ported box? Is that box a little to big?
If your going to port your subs, I'd suggest getting an amp with a subsonic filter. Otherwise you risk damaging the subs. I have a friend who blew his Type R with 600 wRMS, then I've heard of people running 600 Wrms with no problems, so I guess it all depends. My brother is going to put anywhere from 400-500 Wrms to each.

Hi I'm new to this thread, I am getting 2 type R 12s for my eclipse ,anyway my friend that works at the place is telling me that I need to get 2 1000 wat amps to push them, is this too much? I'm also working on a design for my box. I'm wanting to make kinda like a car of the fast and furious the rx-7 , but I don't know what will look nice though. Any ideas it would really help me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.