Help with JBL PROBase SL Active subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zapnologica

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I joined because I need some more expert advice.

I have had several cars in my time all with sound systems. Ranging from dual 15" in my Jetta to Rocksford Fossgate in my Focus.

I have now since decided I want to move into the offroading & overlanding space. So I bought my self a Suzuji Jimny. Tiny, Slow car. But very affordable and fantastic offroad. Can literally go anywhere.

Any how. Its stock sound was probably the worse sound system I have ever heard. (I think just playing off my phone is better). So logically the first upgrade was the sound system. Due to the lack of space in the car, I had to go very compact.

I did lots of reading online etc and decided to spend a bit more money and got the JBL BssPro SL 8" active sub. https://www.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/BASSPRO+SL.html

However after installing it, I am horribly disappointed. It adds some bass. Mostly midbass. but to be honest it sounds like im rolling with a shox speaker in the car. No low notes.

Now i'm not sure if i am just being overly optimistic and expecting 2 much from an 8" woofer. (I am comparing it to my daily driver, which is not a fair comparison): see below:

That said, I have forked out the money and installed the unit. So no going back.

What I want to know is, is there any thing I can do to improve its bass?

I did notice when playing around with it, that If I placed it in the footwell of the car, (making a small enclosure) the bass increased. This gave me an Idea. Could I build a small enclosure around the active sub, almost generating a dual band-pass enclosure.

From what I have read, dual bandbass enclosures are not very efficient (power wise) and require large sizes). Two things which I do NOT have.

The sub is mounted under the front seat, I have no place to mount it in the back of the vehicle as it is small and will be used for full deraw system &used for loading gear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.