Help with box for two 12s.

Daily. My space is shaped kind of like the box in your sign, moble. The hatch is maybe like 48" at the back so if the ports aim into there then I could have the full 24" front to back. Really want use round ports.
Can you show a pic of the area? Take a pic and post it? If it is daily, then placement may not be as much of a concern to you, but if it is, it may be recommended to have one of us design it for you. I just want to make sure you get what you want. But even from the details, I cannot put a picture in my head yet, I apologize. So, a posted pic of the space and idea visually will help a lot, if possible.

32126270005_large.jpg

Not mine but same car, to think about it I could probably go a maybe another two inchs in height on the box if I take out the little board thing across the top and just get some tint.

If you plan to run 4KW you should really go back to your 2 sub plan. Nightshade is a monster sub that handles power and plays low but the coils get smelly after about half a song at 3KW.

There isn't a sub out there that'll really handle 4KW continuous for more than a couple minutes without trouble.

Precisely, so then maybe two nightshade 12s? I really want to run an AQ3500. Two 15s doesn't sound plausible in only 5 cubes after all the displacements come out, or should I stick with the one 18 and do less power, like an other AQ2200 that was on my Mayhem? I never got it tested but I'd be willing to bet it was puting out a lot more than rated and it was happy at .5 ohm daily.

Precisely, so then maybe two nightshade 12s? I really want to run an AQ3500. Two 15s doesn't sound plausible in only 5 cubes after all the displacements come out, or should I stick with the one 18 and do less power, like an other AQ2200 that was on my Mayhem? I never got it tested but I'd be willing to bet it was puting out a lot more than rated and it was happy at .5 ohm daily.
Looking at the layout, I believe 2 12s may be a better option, or even 2 10s. I can do wonders with 2 10s for you if your interested. Personally, instead of worrying about choosing either a single 18 or 2 smaller drivers, why not calculate for both? You could see which gives you more of what you are looking for in a response and output. Generally, I like to use smaller drivers, as size does not determine output, when you are limited to a certain space. SO, now that I see the area, I would personally recommend dual 10s in a common chamber-this comes from years of experience in acoustics.

I've gotten nice results from two 10s in my trunk car and suv, but just two of them doesn't have the ground pounder feel that I'm looking for here. Could we go back to my original two 12s, bunch of power and low tune? TBH here, I said before about competing but I couldn't care less if it put up ****** numbers so long as it moves hella air.

I've gotten nice results from two 10s in my trunk car and suv, but just two of them doesn't have the ground pounder feel that I'm looking for here. Could we go back to my original two 12s, bunch of power and low tune? TBH here, I said before about competing but I couldn't care less if it put up ****** numbers so long as it moves hella air.
Well, in that case, if you are less concerned with numbers and more concerned with pressure, then you should go with what has more cone area, power handling, and linear excursion capabilities. It comes pretty close with the two 12s and a single 18 on cone area, so measure them and figure which has the most. Likely, the 18 will follow with more power handling and higher excursion as well. If overall, the 18 gives you more of these factors, go with it, just make sure you have room to balance enclosure volume with displacement for a proper enclosure for this driver.

The 10s can put up numbers just as well as the 18 can, but the 18 can likely get more pressure in the LF range of the response more efficiently, so if that is your goal, go with the directions I just stated about those three factors.

18 is slightly more cone area, by like 26^2 inches over two 12s. If comparing the same two subs then the 18 would be a clear win except for power handing since it's not getting split between two and I can't seem to find a sub that would be happy with my hopes of 4k.

What about running the AQ at 2ohm and getting probably close to 3k? I'm on a quest to find a pic of a birthsheet from one.

What are the basic specs on the AQ? Make sure that is can run more than 3K on 2ohms as transfer loss will occur between the wires thickness and lengths and impedance levels of the drivers and such. What is the max rating of this amplifier @ 1ohm?

Site says 4300@1ohm and 2600@2ohm. I figure it to likely be underrated by at least a little. I do try to keep my sup wires short and thick
True. It is an AQ so likely. All you need to do is make sure the 18 is a dual 4. And you will be close enough to 2ohms in parallel.....it will slightly vary based on frequency, but nominally, 2ohms.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Site says 4300@1ohm and 2600@2ohm. I figure it to likely be underrated by at least a little. I do try to keep my sup wires short and thick
True. It is an AQ so likely. All you need to do is make sure the 18 is a dual 4. And you will be close enough to 2ohms in parallel.....it will slightly vary based on frequency, but nominally, 2ohms.

Sweet, and doing that leaves me plenty of power for future use. You sir have helped immensely in this. Its been far too long since I did any of this.

I did do a little port calculating and came to I think ~28" length for two 6" round ports in a 4.5 cube box for a 32hz tune. That part was always a little confusing to me, those two big *** ports are going to displace a fair amount of air, should I find out just how much and add that bit of space on top of the 4.5 or what? I'd be willing to paypal out a few bucks for a simple box design.

Why D4 to get 2ohm, why not D1?

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, glad to help. It can get Much Much more complex than this but not necessary for what you are trying to do, so you should be all set. Glad you got the port figured out. And yes, those are some pretty good sized ports...fairly long but if thats what it says to use then go for it. But again, if you would like me to figure a design for you, without worrying about too much detail, I can do that, just PM me. or I can verify what you have as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.