Help with alternator/battery upgrade

Participant count
  • Participants list

Pukkafukka

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi people, first post here and I'm building my first system. I will be running an Orion XTR-2500.1Dz amp powering an HCCA 12" black coil sub. I've currently got a 150a alternator on the stock electrical in my Mk7 transit sport. My question is what alternator/battery combo will I need. The amp is rated at 2500w RMS @1Ω though it has been bench tested here : https://youtu.be/DMBV0dVAtUo at 6744w Rms (I don't know wether to believe that or not). Can anybody help me make the calculations. Thanks, Gaz. 

i have 2 of these 12 s  and you should be fine running it with that amp.     you could go alittle bigger with the amp. hcca subs can handle it.   just make sure to wire your double voice coil correctly for the 1 ohms

Thanks mate I want so go slightly overkill but not have to spend too much.

So correct me if I'm wrong but here's my conclusion:

The demand from my vehicle's electrical system with everything running is 1355w not that everything will be running at once and the demand of my amp is 2500wrms but adding a buffer of 500w for safety totalling 4355w. With the information I get from my ultimate car audio app pictured I am thinking I need a 250a alternator, 1 150ah lead acid battery for starting and 2 deep cycle batteries @150ah. Is there anything I'm missing?

20190128_121331_rmscr.jpg

I would get ride of lead acid all together and use an agm in front with an auxiliary battery, aux bats tend to cost less for more amp hour. 

I’m not sure if this is right but I think I read somewhere that lead acid have lower resting points so would drag or agms down with it when engine is off.

If ur gonna spend a lot of cash on a new alternator I would get the biggest I can fit, or at least a 320. Plan for the future I always say.

Also take into account how much amps ur car lights etc will use, and also the efficacy of your amp.  

But I would think a HO alt and a d3100 or 3400 along with an aux bat like xs3000 would run 2000-3000 watts with ease 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get ride of lead acid all together and use an agm in front with an auxiliary battery, aux bats tend to cost less for more amp hour. 

I’m not sure if this is right but I think I read somewhere that lead acid have lower resting points so would drag or agms down with it when engine is off.

If ur gonna spend a lot of cash on a new alternator I would get the biggest I can fit, or at least a 320. Plan for the future I always say.

Also take into account how much amps ur car lights etc will use, and also the efficacy of your amp.  

But I would think a HO alt and a d3100 or 3400 along with an aux bat like xs3000 would run 2000-3000 watts with ease 
Thanks for the reply mate. I've just had a look and I can't find any of these batteries anywhere in the uk. Maybe I'm missing a trick or using the wrong search terms. I also can't find a retrofit alternator above 230a. The car audio game isn't as big as it used to be 😟

Thanks for the reply mate. I've just had a look and I can't find any of these batteries anywhere in the uk. Maybe I'm missing a trick or using the wrong search terms. I also can't find a retrofit alternator above 230a. The car audio game isn't as big as it used to be 😟
Im not sure if you can get XS power batteries over ther or not,  But the exact ones i refered to are the XS power d3100 XS power d3400 etc.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XS-Power-Battery-D3100-1000A/dp/B001GMTIO0/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1548760170&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=d3100+xs+power

Wow thats 580 us dollars.  Over here the d3100 are 395.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.