Participant count
  • Participant list

Zach Hutkin

I am planning on buy to separate amps, a four channel and later on a mono/two channel bridged which I plan to put in my trunk. I really don't want to have to run the power, rca, and remote on cables twice. How would I have to go about wiring the amps to do this. Right now I am thinking that I will run my power cable from the battery to a distribution block in the trunk and then to the amps. As far as the rca signal cables go would it help to get one of the amps with a preamp output and daisy chain them, or just just disconnect one of the rca cables and hook it into the other amp. My head unit has to preamp outputs at 2.5v. One is front and the other is back/sub. I don't know how i can split the remote on cable to both amps. Also will I need a capacitor. I am looking at getting around a 500 rms 4 channel amp and a 300 rms mono amp. I am also considering getting just a 5 channel amp but I am on a tight budget and I haven't seen a good one for under $250 so I'd probably end up buying so low end gear.

Run your main power cable to the trunk, into a distro then it will be easier later to add another amp since you'll only have to use another couple feet of cable.

Run two different sets of rca's, one for the 4 channel and one for the sub, you have two different sets of outputs why not use both? I'm sure you'll then be able to control the subwoofer level from the HU independently of everything else.

The remote turn on is just a signal wire, all you have to do is run it into one amp, then another wire from that amp to the other (daisy chain them).

I would not suggest buying a capacitor, especially with that small of a system.

If I were to use one rca cable to send signal to my amp would I need a y-splitter and if so where would I need to install it? My headunit does offer subwoofer controls when I switch the rear channel to amp mode so this seems like the better choice. Would I loose anything but fader ability by sending signal to my 4 channel amp with only one rca.

Couple of questions immediately come to mind. What are you going to use for a crossover? Will your amp(s) have one on board? Will you use a separate active? Passive? Depending on those answers, you will have some different options. I definitely don't recommend splitting one set of outputs from the HU to supply signal to two separate amps. You will be theoretically using half signal at each amp. Forget a capacitor. A waste of your money and time, basic electronics theory proves it. Will help if I can. Best of luck.

I just bought a used Orion 8004 and it has a crossover built in. It has a built in crossover so that should be fine and I found out how to run both the front and back channels with one set of rca's. How much money will I need to spend on a distro block. The wire that I got with this amp is huge and I think its a 1/0 gauge. These is info listed on the amp:

Intelli Bass variable bass equalization (models 4004, 8004)

Intelli Q bass optimization circuit and remote gain option (model 7005 only)

2-way active selectable crossovers and high-level inputs (model 4004)

Separately adjustable, variable 2-way active crossovers with proprietary Copy/Master control circuit for RCA outputs (models 8004, 7005)

Copy/Master feature supports high-pass, low-pass, or bandpass configuration and gain matching for multiple amp systems

Selectable 2/4 channel input (model 7005 features 2/4/6 channel selectable input)

12/24 dB/octave variable low-pass filter (channel 5) and remote gain option

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.