Help to ID this DD motor

The_Quiet_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Sprocket
s-l1600%20dd_zpssrjfwrob.jpg

s-l1600_zpsjytu5wrf.jpg

anyone have any info for me? Can't find much.

If anyone runs across this in the future it's a Gen 1 DD Z which was completely rebuilt. There are 3 other similar motors in the US which AFAIK are still in stock form which doesn't match this one.

I know the full story behind this motor. I have 2 that match it and I know where the third is but it's not for sale. If you need to know anything I didn't cover below just let me know.

This one was taken apart and rebuilt at which point one of the neo magnets was misaligned. DD could not return it to its original performance, so it is now a SQ driver with an underhung coil rated for ~1k RMS. I was going to buy it before it was messed up but the last guy backed out on our deal after we agreed to a price...

They are the first DDZs made and have a smaller coil than the newer ones. They won't take the same power as a new 99z or Z3 but they are stupid efficient. I'm giving my pair a HD10k daily and they're fine until I drop below tuning, at which point it gets stinky. With very limited testing and no deadener yet I'm at 155.7 under the window line.

I see you're in TN - come out to Freezefest next year and you'll see them in action

If anyone runs across this in the future it's a Gen 1 DD Z which was completely rebuilt. There are 3 other similar motors in the US which AFAIK are still in stock form which doesn't match this one.
I doubt it will be ran across, this is the only one that circulates around the market //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I've been on the lookout for over a year and it's the only one that's been sold, and it's been sold multiple times. Two more are mine and not many people know where the last one is; the guy is a collector of sorts and I'll respect his privacy so that no one bothers him about it since he won't sell it.

the pillars are perfectly aligned. I wouldn't have sold the motor or continued assembling it otherwise. like I told the guy that got it from me "don't send it to dd"

they wont sell recones to people without a paper trail and id, so they def wouldn't respect a rebuilt motor. I wouldn't have rebuilt it if the glue that was used was still working and not 100% degraded to ****.

i know for a fact the neo slugs were dead on same place. theres no way to build it wrong with the shim that's built into the motor , aka the aluminum sleeve

The pillars are fine. One of the neo magnets itself was out of line enough that the stock coil won't work. I have personally talked to DD about this motor as mine match it; they are more than willing to recone Z's with this style motor so that's not the issue. They don't require a paper trail and ID of a sub to recone - if so they wouldn't have even touched this motor. Instead, they did what they could with the gap they had to work with.

If you look closely, the very left piece of neo appears to have a small gap between the magnet and the steel that the others in the picture don't have.

and it matched perfect at the gap. that motor would not have left my possession with issues. ever. plain and simple, there was nothing wrong with the motor. i could have built it tight gapped with a stock spec z coil without issue. every neo was cleaned so it met up flush with the steel of the pillar. why would i tear apart an over priced hunk of steel and not clean the neo or pillars at the meeting faces? i wouldn't. there full of ****

I know the full story behind this motor. I have 2 that match it and I know where the third is but it's not for sale. If you need to know anything I didn't cover below just let me know.
This one was taken apart and rebuilt at which point one of the neo magnets was misaligned. DD could not return it to its original performance, so it is now a SQ driver with an underhung coil rated for ~1k RMS. I was going to buy it before it was messed up but the last guy backed out on our deal after we agreed to a price...

They are the first DDZs made and have a smaller coil than the newer ones. They won't take the same power as a new 99z or Z3 but they are stupid efficient. I'm giving my pair a HD10k daily and they're fine until I drop below tuning, at which point it gets stinky. With very limited testing and no deadener yet I'm at 155.7 under the window line.

I see you're in TN - come out to Freezefest next year and you'll see them in action
I ended up requesting a refund from the seller. 625 is too much to have tied into a driver I'll sit on for years just to sell it again. I think that was a great deal, but I just can use an 18 atm I hate tearing down perfectly good soft parts nor does it seem like I can put my hands on another one. :p Yeah, I knew you had 2 and I have a pretty good idea who has the other one. I think he has the other 2 Sundown protos in my sig.

As far as one of the neo slugs being misaligned. I looked at the build log and the aluminum jig should have made construction straightforward. I don't have any personal dealings with DD, but I do trust Jeff. *shrug* I'll never know now.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

That was the one on eBay I seen. Softer suspension 18
Yup yup

Yeah, an older Z rebuilt by Jeff.

I hate the brown/gold color. Wish it had been done all flat black.

I also heard from someone I talked to in person that the neo was misaligned and could only fit a 2 layer 3500 coil

Yeah, an older Z rebuilt by Jeff.
I hate the brown/gold color. Wish it had been done all flat black.

I also heard from someone I talked to in person that the neo was misaligned and could only fit a 2 layer 3500 coil

the colors were chosen because it was my motor. I painted it the way I wanted it. I also built it the way I wanted it. the only puking information is that the motor has a misaligned slug. the first owner after me didn't say **** about a messed up slug and since the gap is a whopping 3/16 or so wide, you would notice immediately. the fact that everyone assumes a company must be telling the truth is stupid. im not some joe shmoe using hot glue and hammers to build random jiggys in my back yard. been doing this for a while now. until someone tears the motor apart, the rumor is just that. a rumor

also note to all the people who have talked to someone or anyone that magically knows this motor. no one was standing there when I built it and no one seen the gap with there own two eyes except the first owner before it went to dd and he said nothing. I could tell 50 people I drive a Porsche, doesn't make it true

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.