help - problems with everything

terry6405
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ok i recently bought a SX 15 (put in a 3.6 net CF box @ 32hz) and a nine.1 for my 89 accord and im a little disapointed compared to my old 12" vmaxes (new version with 1.5 net CF each @ about 40 hz) with a bx1205

there is not doubt that my new amp has more power becase i had to get a bigger fuse block becaseu i was blowing fuses, but it still doent seem all that loud and doent make as much stuff rattle as my old setup. i also dont have the gain very high, but thats becaseu i have 6.5v preamps and its not supose to be high, but i dont know weather to turn it up or not.

my new sub deffiniately has better SQ, but its just not as loud, i have it tuned lower so i think that might be something to do with it.

i am going to build a bigger box for it so hopefull i can get it louder that way, i also bought 4 - 4" aero ports for the new box but i need help with port placement and direction, as well as tuneing to make me happy. i just want it to shake everything like it did with my v-maxes, i hope im just doing something wrong that i can fix to make it better.

on top of the dissapointment of my new system, my not-quite-so-new kx350.4 quit working yesterday, it will only play so loud (barly enough to hear it) before it goes into protect and then shuts off, but if i turn it back down it will turn on again, untill i turn it a litte.

the only good part about this is that i boutght it on ebay and got a 3 year exended warranty, that was a good idea, but i called them and they said there was a problem with the warranty listing and it couldnt be fixed till tuesday, so i cant get anything done untill then.

give me some help, with my gain on the nine.1, my new sub, my new box (size,tuning,port placement, ect), suggestions about my broke amp. ill apreceiate anything, im just real pissed about the whole thing

i posted in the sub section because thats where the most people were

you went from 2 15's to 1. thats prob number one. You went from 40 hz to 32. thats problem number 2. If you want your sx louder, put it in a bigger box. I had a 12" HC that was in a 3.2, so you may be a lil on the small side. If you want the sx to be louder, make the box bigger and tune it higher.

yea i plan on goin to about 5 CF and tuned to about 36-37 hz, like i said i have those ports and im just not goin to cut them and they are about 17" long each. the bigger my bix is the lower its tuned thou so....

and the v-maxs were 12s

would i need bracing for a box that is about 17H x 31 x 24 ?

i played around with a DDM and i think i might even have the gain a little too high, but i dont know for sure

i remember gitting like 54v or something

would i need bracing for a box that is about 17H x 31 x 24 ?
i hear the general rule of thumb is that you want to brace anything bigger than a 12x12x12 space. when you do this you have to account for its displacement in the box, so you would need a bigger box

54v is a lil high lol... when you multiply it by itself you get 2916..... the voltage you want for 1200w is ~ 35-36 volts.

yea i knew 54 was a little high, but it wasnt hat loud, but im carfull not to go crazy with it

whats the est way to brace?

and would a SX15 be good at 5 net CF tune to about 36-37hz? would it damage my sub for any reason?

yea i knew 54 was a little high, but it wasnt hat loud, but im carfull not to go crazy with it
whats the est way to brace?

and would a SX15 be good at 5 net CF tune to about 36-37hz? would it damage my sub for any reason?
No, it shouldnt damage it. My friend had an sx 18 in a 7.5 @ 38 hz. you could do allthread from front-back, and then from side-side. Or you could do a brace that looks kinda like \ from the side to the bottom. I also see people doing braces that look like a picture frame. Talk to some of the box builders on here about it, they can give you more help with that kinda stuff than i can. I reccommend saywat? he did my box plans, he seems to be on often, and is very easy to get in touch with.

all thread is a piece of round bar that has been threaded. i dont know what dail rods are, like i said, a box designer/builder would be better to talk to than me about bracing and such

yea dowel, im an idiot, i just never knew it was pronouced dowel. everyone around here says it like dal

ill probly do the allthred cux its the strongest and smallest displacement

hopefully this new box makes it louder thou, and btw, after i build a new box i will have 3 good size boxes sitting im my house, and i already sold one, so this will be my 5th box is like 8 months, but i will have built 4 of them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.