help picking 6.5/7" subwoofers for sealed 1.8 cubic box

I'm impressed with my VFL8's. I have them on a Sundown SIA3500 and they take the power fine. I've never even smelled them once while playing music. I think that they are underrated subs. 148.9 @ 31 hz. isn't too bad for 4- 8's. The Mesos look nice to. I've just never ran them or heard them in person.

The 8” is a different animal compared to the 6.5”. You got a 2.5” coil which is pretty dang beefy for an 8” sub. Put those 6.5’s in your truck with the amp you have and you’ll blow the cones off if you push them hard lol.

This is a 4- 6-½" build in a standard cab.

View attachment 35841
that's what I'd normally go with but unfortunately I don't have the same avaliable space as the dodge cabs. my center doubles as a seat and the folding function gets in the way as well as two cab vents one behind each seat. I dont have a picture of my finished test box but here's one of my first mock ups that's essentially the same and a pick of cab

Attachments

• 20220219_105811.jpg
    20220219_105811.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220219_105938.jpg
    20220219_105938.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 37
The 8” is a different animal compared to the 6.5”. You got a 2.5” coil which is pretty dang beefy for an 8” sub. Put those 6.5’s in your truck with the amp you have and you’ll blow the cones off if you push them hard lol.
haha I'd love to run 8"s but I don't have the tools too cut the slots in the back of the box to accommodate the cab vents. although it did cross my mind to weld caps on them. it's a shame metal doesn't make a good box I could weld a box into the rear of the cab would be a whole lot easier.

that's what I'd normally go with but unfortunately I don't have the same avaliable space as the dodge cabs. my center doubles as a seat and the folding function gets in the way as well as two cab vents one behind each seat. I dont have a picture of my finished test box but here's one of my first mock ups that's essentially the same and a pick of cab
I have about the same airspace as you in my ‘96 f150. I have tried at least 8 different setups. This is what my latest will be, it will house an American bass xfl 10”
2EACC2D4-8DF3-49EF-B4AB-7ABD14A73119.jpeg
BA9A17DF-27AD-41FC-B530-F9081A732A81.jpeg
B66981BE-6BC6-40E3-B685-0DE624E65D81.jpeg
EE706853-772A-403E-B277-150F632CA32D.jpeg

Had this setup and it was nice but my seat sat up just a hair too much. Subs were Dayton ho 10’s and they sound very nice. But then I tried the cheap Audio Legion Javelin 10’s and wow, they really got loud for what they were.
911D4870-E7B7-40DD-8913-4A858F0224DA.jpeg
410F7FF9-1DD9-404A-9EFA-10365867068B.jpeg
EC87CBC8-69C5-480D-9B7C-03589BF3660A.jpeg

I have about the same airspace as you in my ‘96 f150. I have tried at least 8 different setups. This is what my latest will be, it will house an American bass xfl 10”View attachment 35846View attachment 35847View attachment 35848View attachment 35849
That is super clean it's going to look great. yeah when ford makes a single cab they really take small footprint to heart. I would go the same route as you if I didn't need the center seat. I'm thinking of ordering sheets of 3/4 baltic birch for mine. moisture retention is a problem for me.

That is super clean it's going to look great. yeah when ford makes a single cab they really take small footprint to heart. I would go the same route as you if I didn't need the center seat. I'm thinking of ordering sheets of 3/4 baltic birch for mine. moisture retention is a problem for me.
Yeah. Options on sub enclosures are limited with these trucks. I also had a setup like like those that housed four 6.5’s but I’m never satisfied.
@Buck has been a big help with designing my boxes.

Yeah. Options on sub enclosures are limited with these trucks. I also had a setup like like those that housed four 6.5’s but I’m never satisfied.
@Buck has been a big help with designing my boxes.
I'm not gonna lie I went sealed because I don't know enough to make a ported box 😆 plus it's just easier. I'm tempted to pay someone to build a box for me honestly. I travel for work so I spend way to much time in my truck and the stock system is killing me so I figured go big or go home at this point. This forum is awesome I posted this same info over at diymobileaudio and got hardly any help.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie I went sealed because I don't know enough to make a ported box 😆 plus it's just easier. I'm tempted to pay someone to build a box for me honestly. I travel for work so I spend way to much time in my truck and the stock system is killing me so I figured go big or go home at this point.
It’s not soo hard after you get the first build out of the way. I’ve always wondered how a sealed setup would sound in my truck. I would make sure to have as much coke area as I could or some nice power. Trucks are crazy, my system gets almost twice as loud when the window(s) is down. Something about the acoustics of trucks I guess.

It’s not soo hard after you get the first build out of the way. I’ve always wondered how a sealed setup would sound in my truck. I would make sure to have as much coke area as I could or some nice power. Trucks are crazy, my system gets almost twice as loud when the window(s) is down. Something about the acoustics of trucks I guess.
Im maxed out at 1.8 cuft without modification of truck or building molded two cab shape. I've noticed the same thing definitely the lack of air space hindering single cab owners. But it's the price you pay for single cab sexyness lol

Im maxed out at 1.8 cuft without modification of truck or building molded two cab shape. I've noticed the same thing definitely the lack of air space hindering single cab owners. But it's the price you pay for single cab sexyness lol
I had a bench seat and after finally searching, found buckets just so I can have more options for an enclosure.

Have you considered the Anarchy 7"? I know it's not technically a sub, but plenty of people use them for midbass drivers and cross them low. I have mine on about 100w playing from 400hz down. They have a pretty hefty 12.5mm of xmax.

Only like 68 bux per driver. Grab 4 of the 8ohm versions and you can run a final load of 2 ohms. Hell, you might even have enough room to throw in an aeroport and run them ported.

Matt

I have the cerwin Vega vmaxx 6.5 subs in the back doors of my 07 dodge quad cab. And cerwin Vega components up front. I'm actually contemplating not installing another sub. These things are performing better than I expected.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...