help picking 6.5/7" subwoofers for sealed 1.8 cubic box

GruesomeUser

CarAudio.com Newbie
florida
Vehicle: 2016 f250 singlecab

Number of subs preferred: 4

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 6.5/7 biggest woofer I can fit.

Budget: 150 usd per sub

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Taramps md 1800 2ohm mono

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 1.8 cubic feet sealed (test box built already)
its a wedge box in center 16" W x17" H1x 8" H2x 8" D
with a small 8"x8"x22" rectangle off each side. (all one chamber)

Goals: spl/sq

Listening habits:
90s rock/metal
indi/dj mixs old school rap

Preferred brands/subs/whatever:
Cerwin Vega Mobile VMAX65D4 - 6.5 inch 200W RMS Subwoofer Dual 4 ohm

Dayton audio 180HE-44 7" DVC MMAG Extended Range Subwoofer 4 Ohm 200w rms

CT Sounds MESO-6-5 // 400 Watts RMS 6.5 Inch Car Subwoofer 4ohm

Last edited:
With that kind of power, If you aren’t careful those little 1.5” coils on the Dayton and Vegas could go poof. Of course properly set and knowing the limits this won’t be an issue. That 1.8 cubic feet, is that internal volume or?

it's inter
With that kind of power, If you aren’t careful those little 1.5” coils on the Dayton and Vegas could go poof. Of course properly set and knowing the limits this won’t be an issue. That 1.8 cubic feet, is that internal volume or?
internal volume I'd put demsions on here but it's a peculiar shape.

I was under the impression from what I've read online that having head room on your amp is beneficial for both amp and subwoofers so that neither are stressed trying to run at optimal settings?

I did look at the sundown sa6.5s but there website didn't have much info on them.

it's inter

internal volume I'd put demsions on here but it's a peculiar shape.

I was under the impression from what I've read online that having head room on your amp is beneficial for both amp and subwoofers so that neither are stressed trying to run at optimal settings?

I did look at the sundown sa6.5s but there website didn't have much info on them.

Nothing wrong with the added headroom, you just gotta set it correctly and know the limits is all.

would I be better off stepping up to the x series if i went sundown? I'm having a hard time finding reviews on 6.5 subwoofers no doubt it's not typical for an install.

When you go 6.5”, you are basically going with designs that are off the shelf. The CT sounds meso 6.5 is based off a JLD design (JLD being the build house). This design for the money is actually pretty good for the price. I would definitely choose this over the VFL personally (dentaly build house American bass, genius audio, massive, lower end DD, ground zero etc). The sundown subwoofer while made in one of the build houses looks to have some changes to it. Are these changes worth double the cost? That I can’t tell you as I never looked into one that deep and never took one apart or had one in hand to say. If it was me out of those choices, I’d personally go for the CT sounds meso 6.5.

Thanks thats super helpful I was already leaning towards the meso's anyway but wanted some experienced input. this has been the most difficult build do to lack of space and wanting to keep my truck comfortable. Issues like cab vents on the back cab wall sticking out 3 inches on the center line and needing my center functional for when my daughter and wife join me in the truck. This should give me about .4 cu ft for each sub.

Thanks thats super helpful I was already leaning towards the meso's anyway but wanted some experienced input. this has been the most difficult build do to lack of space and wanting to keep my truck comfortable. Issues like cab vents on the back cab wall sticking out 3 inches on the center line and needing my center functional for when my daughter and wife join me in the truck. This should give me about .4 cu ft for each sub.

No problem. How much mounting depth do you have?

This is a 4- 6-½" build in a standard cab.

20180606_153343.jpg

When you go 6.5”, you are basically going with designs that are off the shelf. The CT sounds meso 6.5 is based off a JLD design (JLD being the build house). This design for the money is actually pretty good for the price. I would definitely choose this over the VFL personally (dentaly build house American bass, genius audio, massive, lower end DD, ground zero etc). The sundown subwoofer while made in one of the build houses looks to have some changes to it. Are these changes worth double the cost? That I can’t tell you as I never looked into one that deep and never took one apart or had one in hand to say. If it was me out of those choices, I’d personally go for the CT sounds meso 6.5.

I'm impressed with my VFL8's. I have them on a Sundown SIA3500 and they take the power fine. I've never even smelled them once while playing music. I think that they are underrated subs. 148.9 @ 31 hz. isn't too bad for 4- 8's. The Mesos look nice to. I've just never ran them or heard them in person.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...