Help on sub selection

Gemcoska
10+ year member

Hey Guys,

So I did my best to read up on sub recommendations and everything seems to be very specific to what the user has and wants; as it should be. However, given that I am more confused now than before researching. So at the risk of getting yelled at for ANOTHER "Whats better than a JL W7" thread, I'm going to do it anyway.

So originally I came on here just to see if there was any 13w7s for sale in the classified then i started reading over and over that there are better options out there. Now I have owned and loved several sets of JL subs and have never thought about changing; however, if I can get better performance at a cheaper price, I'm all ears. So what do you guys recommend?

I'm not going crazy or anything. I just want to feel the bass in my chest and seat; not blow the guy in the lane next to me away. I have a 10w7 in my M3 powered with a US Amps Merlin which I am very happy with; I could have ore, but a satisfied with what I do have. The next sub would go in a Suburban so I wanted more punch, hence the 13w7s. I dont really want to spend $500 on the 13w7, but I really want that deep bass from only 1 sub.

So amps and enclosures aside, what is a sub that can perform as well or better than a JL 13W7 for less money. Again, lets not pick hairs, looking for some easy answers to help e go thump!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Fi q 18 , 8 cubes tuned at 28, give it 1200rms it will make w7's cry
I don't want to take up the entire trunk with an 18... I was hoping to build a custom enclosure into the side of the trunk; Hence the 13".... Will 1 Fi q 12" be enough to top a 13 sw7?

Taking a cursory look at the FI q 12 and the SSA Icon 12, both see to have smaller magnet drivers than the W13. I understand this is not the only thing that matters, but i was always told the bigger the magnet, the more powerful and lower the bass. Is this true?

Are these the only other 2 contenders out there?

I say get the 12" SSA Xcon. W7 isn't even in the same class. I went from a 13W7 in a custom ported box to a 12" Xcon in its own custom box. Both had the same amp. The W7 matched it in SQ, but couldn't match the Xcon when it came to the lows and SPL. Plus if you ever need a Xcon recone it's 120 shipped back to you. A W7 recone is like 400+ and it usually takes months to get your sub back.

I say get the 12" SSA Xcon.
Lots of recommendations for the SSA XCONs. They look like they could work though they require 0.5 to 0.75 ft^3 of airspace than the RE's

I;m guessing the best place to buy these things are on the forums... I;m not finding much online

Lots of recommendations for the SSA XCONs. They look like they could work though they require 0.5 to 0.75 ft^3 of airspace than the RE's
I;m guessing the best place to buy these things are on the forums... I;m not finding much online
The Xcon will get louder and have much better SQL. Xcons are on SSA's website for 378 + shipping which totals to about 410 shipped, and that's with a 1 year warranty. SSA has great customer service. I'm currently selling my 12" Xcon since I recently sold my car. It is in mint condition and I have pics to prove it. If interested, let me know. The Xcon is the perfect sub for someone that wants to get loud with great SQ. Best sub I've ever owned.

Also, Fi Q's, Treo SSX's & TC Sounds are really good choices.

Awesome...once i get rid of my ED and if your xcon is still available, i'll take it from you.

The Xcon will get louder and have much better SQL. Xcons are on SSA's website for 378 + shipping which totals to about 410 shipped, and that's with a 1 year warranty. SSA has great customer service. I'm currently selling my 12" Xcon since I recently sold my car. It is in mint condition and I have pics to prove it. If interested, let me know. The Xcon is the perfect sub for someone that wants to get loud with great SQ. Best sub I've ever owned.
Also, Fi Q's, Treo SSX's & TC Sounds are really good choices.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/549643-re-audio-sx-12-d2.html

RE SX12 D2 for $175 plus shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal even if its not AS good as the XCONs. Don't think I can spend twice the price for the superior XCON. I guess I'll just see what price IMP gives me.

The Audioque hdc3 12 is in the classifieds for $230 shipped, so pretty close.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/549629-fs-mint-audioque-hdc3-12-copper-d1.html

How doe the Audioque rank against the RE and the XCON?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.