Help on a Component Install

Participant count
  • Participant list

evilsaint
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ok, i'm doing this install today, but I have one question that I want to see if anyone can answer. For the record i'm putting in 5 3/8" Focal PolyKevalar 136K Components.

Does it matter where you position the actual crossovers for the comps? There isn't really much room inside of my door panels, so I was thinking run wires from the woofers and the tweeters all the way to the trunk and have the crossovers next to my 4-channel. Obviously it would make them a lot more easily accessible, but would it cause any problems?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

yup you're gonna use alot more wires and double the hassle trying to put the speaker wires from the car to the door(nice and clean)... I THINK that's the hardest part of installing a system... unless you want the speaker wire to show, which is ugly and slappy..

My main issue with not having the Xovers in the trunk is that I don't feel like running wire from the tweets into the door. Thats just a factor of me being lazy though...

JJoven - I used to have a hard time putting the wire between the doors and the car too, but a friend of mine who happens to be an installer showed me the easiest way in the world. Just pry off the rubber tube that insulates all the wires running from the door to the car on either end, and it'll make it much easier. That way you don't have to feed something solid through with the wire attached to it or anything.

do NOT put your crossovers in the door even if you can. There is a thing called rain. When rain gets in your door, I dont think you wanna fry your crossover.

i would put them somewhere accessible if you have adjustables. If not, under the dash or under your seat would work fine by me.

Agreed... inside the door = bad. Under the seat, under the dash, in the trunk = good.

For the record, I have mine under the seats. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was thinking that it might be bad to put the X-overs in the doors, but unluckily, I didn't read your posts today while I was installing the comps. I know for a fact that pretty much no water leaks into my doors, but I will definitely move them anyways. (I kinda want to show them off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) Plus, on the driver's side door, I forgot to hook my trunk release button back up, so it's yet another reason. Thanks for the advice guys

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.