Component help

Participant count
  • Participant list

ashtrey

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
I've recently got a pair of Rockville rxm64 mid range 6.5 speakers I do not have any experience with components so these are my first but I got one hooked up and it sounds terrible like really bad it seems quieter then it should and the high pitched sounds are ear piercing like really damn loud and awful quality its getting enough power and ive set the frequency filters as best as i can to the speakers response and even when i put the channel on low pass mode it still gets the high tones and sounds awful idk what to do best thing i can think of is maybe getting some frequency blockers

I've recently got a pair of Rockville rxm64 mid range 6.5 speakers I do not have any experience with components so these are my first but I got one hooked up and it sounds terrible like really bad it seems quieter then it should and the high pitched sounds are ear piercing like really damn loud and awful quality its getting enough power and ive set the frequency filters as best as i can to the speakers response and even when i put the channel on low pass mode it still gets the high tones and sounds awful idk what to do best thing i can think of is maybe getting some frequency blockers
You bought a PA speaker. FS is ~175hz, so I wouldn't expect any response below ~250hz. High frequencies will be piercing due to cone break up because the cone is not well damped (see 100db sensitivity). Per Rockville's website it should come with bass blockers.

Last edited:
On the Mfr. website, it shows they are pre-wired with a 28uf cap on them. That would be a 6db high pass filter and will prevent most any program material below 1400hz from getting through. It's a midrange, not a mid-bass speaker. Add a .05mH coil to create an 8.3 octave 6db bandpass midrange crossover. This diagram has a different value for the cap, not an issue. You can use the cap you have, add the .1 to .05mh coil to each mid's existing cap and you'll pull the top down.

1698604248397.png

Here is the coil you'll need.

Last edited:
Fs = 173.2 Hz

ouch!

id save up more money and get some JL comps and a good amp

youll have years of nice sound

Last edited:
You bought a PA speaker. FS is ~175hz, so I wouldn't expect any response below ~250hz. High frequencies will be piercing due to cone break up because the cone is not well damped (see 100db sensitivity). Per Rockville's website it should come with bass blockers.
Yes it has prewired base blockers but I'm still not sure how to fix my problem with the highs being extremely loud and terrible sounding
Fs = 173.2 Hz

ouch!

id save up more money and get some JL comps and a good amp

youll have years of nice sound
???

Yes it has prewired base blockers but I'm still not sure how to fix my problem with the highs being extremely loud and terrible sounding

???
I gave you a diagram, I would add a .1mh coil to the inline positive lead before the cap, it'll roll things off the top end and most likely eliminate the highs you're talking about.

1698604248397-png.54383

Use the existing cap, and add the coil before the cap.

Last edited:

???
A powerful EQ could do the trick - a 31 band or 10 band parametric. IMHO, you're better off avoiding PA style speakers in the car audio environment.

For $49 more than you paid for those, you could have got these. There a steal at $99, about $150 off the regular price.

For $49 more than you paid for those, you could have got these. There a steal at $99, about $150 off the regular price.

Thats a nice price. I like the specs. I might snag a set myself🤔

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...