Help Needed - New Subs Are Quiet

LDR20

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I am new to car audio. I tried to read up and watch as many videos as I could to make the process smooth but now I'm stuck. 

I have all brand new equipment. I wired everything up and got it all into place and when I turn on my music, the subs work but are extremely quiet. If I am sitting in the car I cannot even tell that they are on. When I look at them they are not moving visibly. The only reason I know they are moving is because I can feel them. This is what I have:

- 2 Power Acoustik MOFO-122X Dual 2-Ohm Voice Coil (1,350 RMS Each)

- 1 Rockville dB15 6000 Watt/3000w RMS Mono Class D 2 Ohm Amplifier Car Audio Amp

- 1 Metra - Two Channel Line Output Converter

- 1 ASC Dual 12" Subwoofer Universal Slot Vented Port Sub Box Speaker Enclosure

My car is a 2013 Kia Optima with the Infinity sound system upgrade. From my understanding, the car uses SPDIF from the head unit to the factory amp. This means I had to tap into the speaker wires coming out of the factory amp.

I wired the speakers to keep them 2-Ohms. I'll include a diagram of how I wired them. 

The only knobs I have messed with are the remote volume on the new amp, the knobs on the LOC, and I very slightly turned up the gain knob on the new amp but was too scared to turn it up any farther because I didn't want to damage anything (I ended up turning it back down right after). 

Any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated.

fullsizeoutput_148a.jpeg

yes...sorry....LOC gains than amp gains, be conservative with the gains as you are using your "untrained ears" and no measuring equipment....check back with us when you fry your subs/electrical...haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Op's on stock electrical? Love it. I don't know much about using factory hu but is there a chance he may have tapped into the wrong speaker wires and not getting a full range signal? 

adjust the gains on the LOC

yes...sorry....LOC gains than amp gains, be conservative with the gains as you are using your "untrained ears" and no measuring equipment....check back with us when you fry your subs/electrical...haha

Op's on stock electrical? Love it. I don't know much about using factory hu but is there a chance he may have tapped into the wrong speaker wires and not getting a full range signal? 
Adjusted the LOC gains, that helped very slightly but almost not at all. Will be trying AMP gains later. The wires I tapped into were the rear speakers. They have the regular 6.5 inch woofer plus a tweeter. My assumption was that was full range but I'm new so I could be totally wrong. 

Adjusted the LOC gains, that helped very slightly but almost not at all. Will be trying AMP gains later. The wires I tapped into were the rear speakers. They have the regular 6.5 inch woofer plus a tweeter. My assumption was that was full range but I'm new so I could be totally wrong. 
id have the LOC gains at about 75 to 80% of full then turn your gains on your amp loooooow AF and bring your volume up to where youd never turn it past (mine goes to 40, and i set my gains when at 32 even tho i usually cap out at 30 on the volume dial) then adjust the gains on your amp. Also, might want to take the subs back out and make sure one of those wires didnt get disconnected. That happens all the time. Youd be surprised

id have the LOC gains at about 75 to 80% of full then turn your gains on your amp loooooow AF and bring your volume up to where youd never turn it past (mine goes to 40, and i set my gains when at 32 even tho i usually cap out at 30 on the volume dial) then adjust the gains on your amp. Also, might want to take the subs back out and make sure one of those wires didnt get disconnected. That happens all the time. Youd be surprised
Thanks for the input! I'll try this out.

Yes, it came with a factory sub. I took it out though so it doesn't get destroyed from the new subs. 
Why didn't you tap into the sub wires? 

Also if you are stock electrical you are done before you even get started. Your little Kia is not going to be able to power that system.

Thanks for the input! I'll try this out.
np

Yes, it came with a factory sub. I took it out though so it doesn't get destroyed from the new subs. 
ok, then dont tap off the rears, tap off the sub. itll already be eq'd and x-ed over and all that, but itll probably work the best with your otherwise stock stereo. When i had my 03 Maxima, i went to the scrap yard to get the opposite end of the molex plug so i could get straight signal that was intended for the sub and put an rca end on it, worked like a charm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.