help me rebuild my front stage and integrate rear fill

With out being able to measure you will have to voice these by ear. You will need a soldering iron. But to start just a good way to connect the leads to gather will be better - something like the terminal blocks Radio Shack sells. It will be easier to change that way. Then buy several power resistors. (Like 1, 2 ,and 4 ohm) so you can play with padding the tweeter.

Well I'm gonna try to match the sensitivities as close as possible. (Even though the placement will change that anyway) or try some subtractive eq work and different placements then if all else fails try some attenuation.

nope! nowhere near michigan! way down in GA. but yea, I'm up for the challenge and learning experience!(dont have access to a soldering iron or anything though) I'm thinking that the Dayton xo should work with that midrange I quoted up there.....or am I wrong? what am I missing? Its my understanding that doubling the impedance will change the xo freq by an octave but since the driver i listed above doesnt even reach 5ohms until 5khz, shouldnt that work?
The people at parts express are very knowledgable and can help you decide and pick out wich crossover would be best for whatever speakers you decide to go with.

For the tweeter (ne25 in this case, but if the impedance on the other is close it should work) use a 8uF cap and a .2mH inductor. (about 4K xo point) This should get you started. I don't have the rs 100 fr and impedance to model it. But I can get it if you want to pursue this.

For the tweeter (ne25 in this case, but if the impedance on the other is close it should work) use a 8uF cap and a .2mH inductor. (about 4K xo point) This should get you started. I don't have the rs 100 fr and impedance to model it. But I can get it if you want to pursue this.
Dayton Audio XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Crossover 3,500 Hz 260-146 i was actually gonna see if I can make this preassembled xover work for me. I'm pretty sure that with the Dayton mid i chose, it will be fine. I just need to find a tweeter that also fits the 8ohm nominal impedance with as low of an Fs as I can find. If all else fails I may end up completely constructing my own xover or maybe modding the Dayton one.

think the Dayton mid will be fine to cross that high?

Dayton's tweeters suck balls for setting up passively. anything above 3khz just starts shooting up to 10 ohms plus

then again, if I plan on using the 3.5khz xover point, thats precisely the point where the impedance plot crosses 8 ohms which is what the Dayton XO wants....hmmm

Dayton Audio XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Crossover 3,500 Hz 260-146 i was actually gonna see if I can make this preassembled xover work for me. I'm pretty sure that with the Dayton mid i chose, it will be fine. I just need to find a tweeter that also fits the 8ohm nominal impedance with as low of an Fs as I can find. If all else fails I may end up completely constructing my own xover or maybe modding the Dayton one.
think the Dayton mid will be fine to cross that high?
I'd cross the mid at 3000-3500. Those values are for the tweeter. and it doesn't roll off at 12db at first. It should sum close to flat. Non of what we have discussed has dealt with phase issues. ;(

Actually may end up using the LPG tweet WD recommended but will probably require a higher xover point. but shouldnt be a problem

Edit: since the rule of thumb is that with a 12db slope, you cross at double the resonant frequency of the tweeter, the 3.5k xover point should be fine...

sent emails to them as well as dayton audio an hour ago
You should be able to call them and get someone asap that way.Just gotta wait till tomorrow to call them. I have heard several places that they are great to work with. Man i would love to go to their showroom!

I'd cross the mid at 3000-3500. Those values are for the tweeter. and it doesn't roll off at 12db at first. It should sum close to flat. Non of what we have discussed has dealt with phase issues. ;(
well as far as phasing I was thinking of just playing around with it like i had to do with my pioneers. Switching polarities, moving the tweets around. Then I think with the higher xover point I may go with, that will eliminate some phasing issues......I think. I'm also thinking the higher xover will eliminate any peaks in that sensitive area of the human ear (that can come from phase issues).

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

You should be able to call them and get someone asap that way.Just gotta wait till tomorrow to call them. I have heard several places that they are great to work with. Man i would love to go to their showroom!
so would i man! but i've talked to them before and they were always very helpful. I'm a pe customer for life.

I was there in July. They have a tent sale and car show, plus a lot more. I couldn't stay very long, but I want to go back this year, even though it is a 4 hour drive!

Yall are lucky,My area ***** for anything SQ even my nearest HAT dealer wouldn't let me listen to the speakers. Most shops around me are all about old school chevys with way too many subs.

well as far as phasing I was thinking of just playing around with it like i had to do with my pioneers. Switching polarities, moving the tweets around. Then I think with the higher xover point I may go with, that will eliminate some phasing issues......I think. I'm also thinking the higher xover will eliminate any peaks in that sensitive area of the human ear (that can come from phase issues).
With the higher xo I'd try to keep the drivers close together. - but in the end just go with what sounds the best. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am also thinking about doing the custom passive thing, I have some ns6 woofers and pe has vifa tweets without a faceplate for $10. I have an omnimic and some xo parts laying around...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.