A-Pillar Build

ewoevo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well, I'm finally installing a system in my car. I'm putting a 3-way component set up front, with the 4's & tweets going in the a-pillars. So far I've put 4 coats of resin on them. Next up is the bondo phase. Here are some pics I took today of the pillar build...

Awesome, looks good so far. Now all you got to do after those are complete is make me a pair.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

Thanks. It's really not that bad. This is my first try at fiberglassing a-pillars. Honestly, it's the first time in years I've even touched fiberglass. You just need a little patience in the beginning (not my strongest suit). Now the finishing part, hopefully I can get that done. I plan on flocking them instead of painting or covering them.

Thanks. It's really not that bad. This is my first try at fiberglassing a-pillars. Honestly, it's the first time in years I've even touched fiberglass. You just need a little patience in the beginning (not my strongest suit). Now the finishing part, hopefully I can get that done. I plan on flocking them instead of painting or covering them.
Patience is my problem.. I have used fiberglass with several stuff, however, never for any pillars/door panels for speakers..

are you just using the cavity between the apillar and the panel as your airspace? how low do you expect to play your mids? how are you sealing the panel to the vehicle?

resin on cloth doesn't provide strength, it's just a base - you need layers of fiberglass for strength. this method (cloth/resin/filler) usually results in work that doesn't hold up and cracks during install.

i would add a few layers of 1.5oz fiberglass matte, then body filler. i would use weatherstripping foam (closed cell) along the perimeter of the trim where it meets up with the metal. i would fill the cavity (both the steel apillar cavity and the airspace between the trim and apillar) with acoustic fiberglass batt for some absorption. i would also add some deadener to the apillar to control resonance.

you're looking fine from a cosmetic standpoint, but if you want these apillars to perform like speaker enclosures, they need to be constructed like enclosures. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the input. I have some mat I was thinking about adding it to the inside, but may put it on the outside as well. I do have deadener and foam for the A-pillar, just didn't mention it. I definitely appreciate the advice/constructive criticism:)

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

On a different note, my MS-8 came in last night!

^^^^^^

Hey ewoevo.

good work.

Those pillars look like fit inside of a scion tc!

Have you tried to refit them back into place?

I ask that is because i have a scion tc & after i rebuilt my pillars they didn't fit back like before.

The plastic on the tc pillars are a little flimsy on the top side.

Oh don't worry they'll fit, I guarantee it. Even if I have to break out a grinder, torch or hammer I'll get them in (haha)! Also, I'm not using regular bondo, I'm using the bondo glass. Hopefully it'll give it more strength.

Well, I know it's been a while, but they are almost finished! I was unhappy with how the mid MDF rings looked, so I removed them and fiberglassed in new ones. I did put fiberglass mat on the outside to give them more strength. So they have resin with cloth, fiberglass mat, bondo glass, bondo, primer sealer, glazing putty and primer on them right now. Tomorrow I'll sand them down and flock them! Here are some pics to show how they look now. And I did test fit them a week ago and they fit!

View attachment 26527944View attachment 26527945

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.