Help me build a better setup....

Scott Kalisch

OK, my current and yes out of date setup is

Car: 2001 VW VR6 GTI

Head Unit: Eclipse 5423

Speakers: Moonsoon VW VR6 speakers

Amp: Kicker ZR240

Subs: (2) Eclipse 10 inch rubber style in two sealed boxes.

OK, My amp keeps cutting out unless I play with the fuse/level adjuster switch(whatever it is, slides into the bottom of the amp) It is from what I can tell old and worthless. I want more.

Typical music I listen to is Chevelle, Linkin Park, DMB, Tool, and Sum 41

I love my bass, but I need my music to be heard too.

Can anyone sugest a nice setup I will be happy with, keep in mind i know very little about car audio yet.

I need to replace the amp obviously.

Budget depends on what I get, but 500 for right now.

Thanks, Scott

You expect us to know exactly what is right for you? Hahaha, that's funny.

Tell me how happy you were with the kicker amp until it started screwing up, and you've just told yourself if you want another kicker.

Round speakers will usually sound better than oval ones, when they are of equal quality.

I'm assuming the speakers are stock, if you're not happy with them, replace them. Talk to someone you trust, an NOONE that wants to push any specific brand on you. I know people that will only buy $200 Audiobahn speaker sets, and others that swear by their $17 Sony subwoofers. Personally, I'm fond of Power Acoustik. Go to Best Buy / Circuit City / Walmart. They usually have displays with different speaker / amp setups, try out speakers until you find ones you really like.

Keep the subs, no need to replace them, unless they're blown.

But then, where have I ranted to? You never even told us WHAT you want to do? Replace the amp, speakers, subs, add an amp, crossover tinkering? Speak up, boy!

Ahhh, you got me there. I was just assuming everyone out there had a crystal ball to see.

Ok- good points brought up. Was I happy with the Kicker amp, Yes, but, i had nothing to compare it to. I will say it didnt seem that loud. Friends cars seemed to be louder with JL subs, and a MTX amp. If that is any comparrison.

I do eventually plan to replace the stock speakers and add a component setup. Maybe Focal or something along those lines.

I am walking into this blind, so before i spend any money i want to get an idea of what will sound good. Good to me is LOUD!!!! Hurt my ear's loud is better.

What will give me that clean, hard sound, without spending way too much money?

Other questions please ask so i cna better get answers/help.

Scott

First things first. That's a helluva tiny amp you've got for it's price.

What's your budget for all this?

If you want LOUD, the first thing to do is that amp. 240 watts? Have I got the right amp specs? This will not do. Loud is 1000 watts and higher, your's is just "the extra kick".

Here's what we've figured out so far.

* You want earsplitting sound and big bass in a voltswagon.

* You have an Eclipse 5423 head unit.

* You have a busted 240 watt amp.

* The amp is hooked up to two 10" eclipse woofers.

* Speakers are stock.

We need a budget. All of these aftermarket parts you've bought have been hella expensive, you can get earsplitting without throwing a load of money at it. There's pride in putting blood, sweat, tears, sleepless nights, and 90% of your free time into your car until it's reasonably perfect.

Loud is 1000 watts and higher, your's is just "the extra kick".
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bsflag.gif.21f42eccd34b7d1eb1608fb1b59b69c3.gif

I've heard some pretty loud setups off of a couple hundred watts! It's all in the install!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Build a nice ported box.

I give you that, my mistake completely. Give me some slack, I'm trying to surf here, ebay, ubid, and decipher Cradle of Filth lyrics while not having slept in a million years.

You expect us to know exactly what is right for you? Hahaha, that's funny.
Tell me how happy you were with the kicker amp until it started screwing up, and you've just told yourself if you want another kicker.

Round speakers will usually sound better than oval ones, when they are of equal quality.

I'm assuming the speakers are stock, if you're not happy with them, replace them. Talk to someone you trust, an NOONE that wants to push any specific brand on you. I know people that will only buy $200 Audiobahn speaker sets, and others that swear by their $17 Sony subwoofers. Personally, I'm fond of Power Acoustik. Go to Best Buy / Circuit City / Walmart. They usually have displays with different speaker / amp setups, try out speakers until you find ones you really like.

Keep the subs, no need to replace them, unless they're blown.

But then, where have I ranted to? You never even told us WHAT you want to do? Replace the amp, speakers, subs, add an amp, crossover tinkering? Speak up, boy!

One newb speaking to another. Remember post count is not equal to knowledge.

I posted that in the 1st post. I have a limit of around 500 bucks. I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible without buying pepboys junk.

Yesh the ZR240 amp is tired and now broken. Any suggestions for a decent amp?

Ok, let's hear some idea's and I will check the thread to keep everyone informed with any question you might have for me.

Scott

1000watts doesnt equal loud i had 300 watts going to two 12s before and it was **** loud because i had a good box.

if i was you, i wouldnt rush into a decision buying anything. nobody can tell you what you'll like. just stick around here for a few weeks listen to what everyone has to say. decide on equipment that interests you and go check it out a local dealer then buy it online way cheaper.

decide on equipment that interests you and go check it out a local dealer then buy it online way cheaper.
Please don't ever suggest that again. The dealer isn't there to be a display case. If no one ever buys from the dealer, exactly how do you expect them to stay in business?? Where are you going to go to play with equipment before you buy it without the local dealer?? That was quite possibly the worst advice I've ever seen given on this board........and that's saying alot because there is a lot of bad advice thrown around quite frequently.

Please don't ever suggest that again. The dealer isn't there to be a display case. If no one ever buys from the dealer, exactly how do you expect them to stay in business?? Where are you going to go to play with equipment before you buy it without the local dealer?? That was quite possibly the worst advice I've ever seen given on this board........and that's saying alot because there is a lot of bad advice thrown around quite frequently.
you really think so? in my opinion that is good advice for those who dont have money to throw around.

true, the dealer is not meant to be there to be a display case. the display case is there to be a display case. do you make blind purchases of any substantial amount? if not, then why would you recommend it to others?

what precentage of the car audio enthusiast community do you seriously believe reads any competent car audio forum? there will always be the gullible to be taken advantage of. thats how anyone gets ahead after all; by taking best advantage of situations and avoiding the pitfalls by stepping over others.

i would recommend to anyone to check out their local car audio shops and tinker with the goodies all you want, but be polite when your asked to stop because in all honesty they owe you nothing until you have something to bring to the table.

*im not saying at all to never buy from dealers; they do after all provide a service and desperately need to make sales if they ever plan to continue. support your local shops because some day they may not be there, but dont be afraid to make the smarter purchase.*

true, the dealer is not meant to be there to be a display case. the display case is there to be a display case. do you make blind purchases of any substantial amount? if not, then why would you recommend it to others?
I never said not to go to the dealer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I said not to recommend going to a dealer simply to use a product, then run home and use it off the net. If everybody did this, then the dealer would cease to exist..........then where would you go to fondle the product before you bought it??

If they are going to waste their time showing you product, explaining how it works and answering your questions about the product, then buy it from them and don't run home and get it off the net. If you aren't going to buy it there, then don't go to the dealer at all because they aren't there just so you have somewhere to look at the product. They are in the retail business, not the service business. Not being able to use the product before you buy it is part of the cost you pay for buying off the net. That's why the net is so cheap.....because the service/warranties either **** or are non-existent and you don't get to use the product before you buy it. You exchange the higher dealer price for the inability to use the product before you buy it and lack of service/warranty help.

And yes, I have made my fair share of blind purchases. I've spent roughly $3500 on products in the past 2 years (all car audio related) that I had never even seen in person before the product arrived //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif (even though all my purchases were products that were either not available in my area or no longer produced, hence why I couldn't just go the dealer to buy them).

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.