Help getting info of sub

Im dying to test it myself but since its a svc and at 8ohms i got no amp that can do 8ohms. Or is there a way?
I have used 4 Ohms amps with 8 Ohms subs without issue. Only downside was lowered power output. Althought this was with class A/B amps of back in the day. I have never tried it with class D amps. Should not be an issue. Try it out keeping a close eye on amplifier temperature.

That is a very well known sub. It seems to be a cast frame, so I guess it is the PPI Pro12 flat piston sub. The stamped basket subs are the Power Class. I do not recall power ratings but I would guess 750 RMS. Probably @Buck would have better info, being that he is a box designer. I never heard one in person, being how expensive they were, no one around here had any. I figure it plays like the Elemental Designs flat piston subs, which are quite accurate on class A/B amps.
It Is but it's not in his possession. Buster is busted

Only reason for stiffness should be lack of use, like a new sub. It may may not even be broken in yet (fingers crossed). So it does not rub when pushed?
They're really stiff like i dont want to put force and potentially damage it (even more)if it is damaged. Ill try it out with some amps i have around keeping an eye on the temp as you said. Thank you

Old School Flat Piston Sub like mentioned above.. There is lots of info out there on these if you do some searching..
All my search just led me to dead ends and the website showed me info of what i think are the new models. So without any other info other than the 8ohm sticker on it i was at a dead end. So i came here and finally got a potential power rating and got to meet a clown whos still at it. So thanks preciate it

That does appear to be the old flat piston PPI. Those are around 30 years old now and I would not have high expectations that it will function like new. If the cone won't move something is wrong, either someone burned up the coil in there or dropped it and the pole piece shifted and is pinching the coil.

Running amps at high impedance just gives you less power but will be much easier on the amp, shouldn't be that difficult to get 500W into 8 ohms.

It is very unlikely you could ever find parts to recone one of those so if it's blown it's just going to be good for a doorstop.

That does appear to be the old flat piston PPI. Those are around 30 years old now and I would not have high expectations that it will function like new. If the cone won't move something is wrong, either someone burned up the coil in there or dropped it and the pole piece shifted and is pinching the coil.

Running amps at high impedance just gives you less power but will be much easier on the amp, shouldn't be that difficult to get 500W into 8 ohms.

It is very unlikely you could ever find parts to recone one of those so if it's blown it's just going to be good for a doorstop.
Right on thanks for that info. Never dealt with a flat piston before so seeing how the build of this is i was brain dead. So hopefully i can get an answer later today. Im keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully they werent broken in yet like mentioned above. Thanks

That is a very well known sub. It seems to be a cast frame, so I guess it is the PPI Pro12 flat piston sub. The stamped basket subs are the Power Class. I do not recall power ratings but I would guess 750 RMS. Probably @Buck would have better info, being that he is a box designer. I never heard one in person, being how expensive they were, no one around here had any. I figure it plays like the Elemental Designs flat piston subs, which are quite accurate on class A/B amps.

Some of the first subs I ever had experience with were the eD flat cones. I miss eD.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...