Help Figuring out what amplifier can output on 3ohm speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

tayl0r

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,
I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious feel free to correct my assumptions
Doing my first audio install on my Lancer. Saved the amplifier from the old car. I don't want to pay someone else to do it mainly because the last guy did it pretty rough and I wanted to do it my own way. Pioneer GM-D9604

I've propably put these numbers into google, voltage converters and watts/ohms calculators. I keep getting inconsistent numbers. The speakers are listed below (60w RMS @ 3ohms Peak 180w, recomended 5-125).
What formula should I be using to calculate the wattage running a 3 ohm load so I can set my output volume correctly and avoid blowing up my speakers/amplifier?
(Speakers already owned)

7d30601cad.jpg

c4ff04ba95.jpg

just go up until the speaker starts sounding harsh and back off a bit. trust your touch, ears and nose aka if it crackles, or the speaker cone or magnet gets hot or it smells like burning glue, turn it down. Your maximum usuable volume will be different with every song and source(bluetooth, radio, aux, lossless, spotify, youtube, or the speaker killer- soundcloud) you listen to so dont expect to set it with a test tone and be safe, you are listening to music, not test tones.

just go up until the speaker starts sounding harsh and back off a bit. trust your touch, ears and nose aka if it crackles, or the speaker cone or magnet gets hot or it smells like burning glue, turn it down. Your maximum usuable volume will be different with every song and source(bluetooth, radio, aux, lossless, spotify, youtube, or the speaker killer- soundcloud) you listen to so dont expect to set it with a test tone and be safe, you are listening to music, not test tones.
Thanks, I guess in planning this build I'm overthinking some things

pretty much yup, just get it in and play it, for mids and highs, most of the times you'll literally know when to turn it down because distortion and clipping on a mids and highs amp is pretty bad, it wont be a weird sound, it will mainly be your speakers sounding harsh and peaky which is actually signs of distortion, usually your ears will give out before your speakers if you are a normal listener. If you are borderline deaf, invest in an oscope haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.