hardest hitting sub out there

ibetuwin

i was just wondering, am looking to get a new sub and wanted to know what you all thought was the hardest hitting sub out there. I am looking to install one in my suv, box built to manufacturer specs and running at amps RMS wattage, what are a few of the best out there??

thanks in advance

For a hard hitting sub look for something with a great deal of volume displacement (Vd). That "hit" you describe is nothing more than a single large push of air from the subwoofer.

Smaller drivers like tens and eights need to be run in multiples in order to give a strong impact, high excursion 12's can do the job while large subs like fifteens and larger have a much easier time creating strong subsonic impacts due to their increased cone area.

Ported enclosures help to increase impact by letting the bass energy off the back of the sub rienforce the front, this helps assist smaller or excursion limited subwoofers displace more air.

A sealed enclosure can only use the energy from the front of the cone, strong impact can be had out of a sealed enclosure but multiple, large or high excursion drivers are nesessary.

A high excursion driver is one with an electrical Xmax (motor driven) of 13mm or more in one direction(26mm total or greater than 1inch) while limited drivers are less then 12mm in one direction (24mm total or 1inch or lesser).

One thing to keep in mind is that excursion alone does not determine the sound quality of the woofer it is just one more thing to keep in mind when designing the system.

What did you have in mind for your sub system design?

Sealed or ported?

8's,10's,12's,15's ?

Single sub or mutiple subs?

How much room is there to work with?

What kind of wattage do we have to work with?

i have alot of room to work with in the trunk of my grand cherokee, and am looking at either 1800 or 3600 watts, depending on the requirements of the woofer, couple of quick questions,

1. is the kicker solox 18 as badass as they say and

2. anyone have any experience with the soundstream tarantula xxx 15", i hear its a monster, 1000+ magnet and 8500 watt rms handling

of course i am going to put it in a professionally designed and woofer specific built ported enclosure of somekind

1. is the kicker solox 18 as badass as they say and
The SOLO-X is a great driver. And makes for a great SPL install.

2. anyone have any experience with the soundstream tarantula xxx 15", i hear its a monster, 1000+ magnet and 8500 watt rms handling
No XP but off specs alone it looks retarded. Do you plan on having 4000-8500 watts of power?

What amp will you be running? What electrical upgrades do you plan on doing?

i have alot of room to work with in the trunk of my grand cherokee, and am looking at either 1800 or 3600 watts, depending on the requirements of the woofer, couple of quick questions, 1. is the kicker solox 18 as badass as they say and

of course i am going to put it in a professionally designed and woofer specific built ported enclosure of somekind
First thing you have failed to include was a price range. second thing is ur engine size (but it really does not matter cus u still need an ALt upgrade in those trucks), Third thing was music you listen to. The whole thing with jeeps is you will not get a good response unless it is rear firing right up aganist the door.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Down Firing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

that was a pretty reterded question, the best sounding sub in the world is what sounds good to you...go listen to some JL's, some L7, some D9...whatever you have access to...you decide what is best...you can argue all day about that question..."hitting hard", or getting loud is the better term, is all in perspective...two 8's hitting a 143 is pretty **** loud and two 12's hitting 150 is pretty **** loud...

What did you have in mind for your sub system design?
Sealed or ported?= costom ported

8's,10's,12's,15's ?= 15 or 18

Single sub or mutiple subs?= single

How much room is there to work with?= lots

What kind of wattage do we have to work with?= 1800 (a 4000 watt RMS woofer is not going to be very musical)

So a single 15 to 18 inch woofer in the back of an SUV that can handle 1800 watts RMS and is musical.

In this range you would need to either need a very shitty woofer or bad enclosure to not hit hard.

Suggested companys-

Eclipse

Reasonant engineering

Atomic

Digital Designs

Treo

Ascendant audio

MTX

Earthquake

Alpine

Ground zero engineering

Memphis

Kicker

Power acoustic

Elevation audio

Incriminator audio

Vids of these companys subs here- http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

and for daily, unless you have the major front stage, I would stay away form 18's. Look at a possible ported 12" and 1500-2500 watts. Plenty for any daily driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.