Group 31 AGM for $50?

shredder1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
AZ
If I can lay my hands on a Duralast group 31 AGM similar to this...for $50... is this a good deal?

jlGxNP.jpg

What tests should I run to be sure I got a good one?... It says it's brand new but the one I'm looking at getting has the decal removed... so I think it might be reconditioned maybe?.. can AGM's be reconditioned?.. I can't find the Ah anywhere online for THIS battery... is it pretty good?.. anyone?

Yeah....almost a too good of a deal. Makes me wonder why the decal is removed. I would ask questions about it. Test out the resting voltage. @adulbrich is the battery guy...he may have some suggestions.

Here is a good close up of the ACTUAL battery... see the scratches and missing sticker?

wvKB68.jpg

An auto parts store? Wonder why the decal is gone.
JC remanufactures the batteries to be used again.
Well... not REALLY an auto parts store... I searched their number and got this...

60I4gO.jpg

I read a few reviews on this place and get a load of the second one in this picture... the guys seem to give OK reviews... the gals... well... LOL!

lwoH1R.jpg

It's only $50 and if it works out I'll be strapping them CAB's at 1 ohm just to burp it ... maybe at the next event I'll be smiling... LOL!.. or crying...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif

The ONLY way to know if it is good is load testing.

By the reviews, good luck returning it if it isn't good.

Your other worry is that it fails prematurely and takes down your current battery with it and puts undue strain on your alternator causing that to fail prematurely. There's legit ways to buy used AGM batteries and IDK if a place like that is it. Pay now or pay later.

If I can lay my hands on a Duralast group 31 AGM similar to this...for $50... is this a good deal?
jlGxNP.jpg

What tests should I run to be sure I got a good one?... It says it's brand new but the one I'm looking at getting has the decal removed... so I think it might be reconditioned maybe?.. can AGM's be reconditioned?.. I can't find the Ah anywhere online for THIS battery... is it pretty good?.. anyone?
Load testing is the best way to check how good it is.

Also, ESR is another indicator of battery condition. I went to an auto show last weekend and met with an engineer from a big battery charger company. He created a handheld device that measures battery ESR accurately for $60! It also "predicts" the cranking power accurately based on ESR, float voltage, and a very small load. It was really cool. If I wasn't extremely pressed for cash right now, I would have picked one up. He said the best indicator of a battery's condition was the internal resistance.

Buy new batteries. Don't buy used crap
You can be smart and scoop good deals on batteries. I'm selling 4 of my used batteries today for the same price I bought them for 2 years ago. This weekend I'm trading 20 of them and 6 Soundrive 15's for a 2010 250 dirt bike that books at $2,700.

I carbon pile load tested 27 of them last week. All but two of them tested in spec, and the two that didn't meet expectations were just low, not bad. Still plenty to start a car.

Standard automotive batteries should crank 400+ as a general rule of thumb. A group 31 AGM should crank 500+ or I wouldn't buy it used. My XS D3100 cranked over 1000 amps on out shop load tester.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.