USB and 3.5mm knockout port for 2005 VW Golf

Participant count
  • Participant list

torbuck

Greetings,

I am hoping this forum will be able to guide me on a car audio install question. I have a 2005 TDI Golf, and planning to install a Kenwood KDC-X701 single DIN receiver. On the back of the receiver, the KDC-X701 has two USB ports (two USB cables with a standard female Type A connector) and a 3.5mm female aux input.

What I wish to do is to install a port on my dash for at least one of the USB inputs as well as the 3.5mm aux input. On my dash, I have two vacant knockout "button" blanks where I would like to install these ports. I’m happy with using a single knockout port for a combo USB \ 3.5mm or a single USB and another single 3.5mm aux port, taking up both vacant knockout blanks (whatever is the easiest to order). The following is a picture of my dash indicating the two vacant knockout spaces:

35632036421_25f845daae_b.jpg

I’ve searched the web for such a port. They seem to exists, however what I have been able to locate are ports with a proprietary connector on the rear. For the USB dash port, I would need one that could plug into a standard female usb Type A port behind the dash. Essentially just acting like a USB extension. Here is an example of what I’ve been able to find, in this case on Ebay:

35632036871_a3caa2d2a6_b.jpg

This is an example of what appears to be a combo single USB and 3.5mm AUX input that looks like it would fit in one of my vacant dash ports. As you can see in this photo, the back connectors would definitely not work in my case. They appear to be proprietary.

I’m curious if anyone knows where I could get a similar port for my dash but the appropriate rear connectors. I would need 1 port with a rear male 3.5mm connector for the AUX audio input, and a rear male Type A for the USB input, either in a single combo or two single individual ports. If anyone knows where I could source such a device, please let me know. I live in Canada, so the vendor would need to support international shipments.

Also, in my photo of my dash, you will notice the empty space above my current single DIN deck. I’m interested where one could order a replacement bezel that surrounds that area. Mine is locking rather rough, so would be ideal to replace if possible.

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.