grounding wiring

everything comes back around again...after all, that's what a circuit is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so, it is best to ground the amp to the negative terminal on the battery itself? would that not put too much stress on the battery? i cant find a proper grounding point in the trunk of my thunderbird so I dont know what else to do. ive also heard that the ground wire can only be so big...is this true? Thanks

No it will not put stress on the battery. A ground wire can be whatever size is necessary to do the job properly, too large is not a bad thing at all. If yolu already have the wire, there is no harm in using it.

well, there's some truth to that...ever seen 4/0 gauge cable? hehe...

4/0.. I have 50 feet of that.. stuff is a ***** to work with!

4/0 is quite a sight to see..

but 750, 1000, or 2000MCM will literally make your jaw drop.

2 inches of wire. Not length.. DIAMETER.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I don't think I've actually ever seen it...the local ag store sells tractor battery cable up to 3/0 in gauge, and that stuff is beastly...

makes my 2awg look wimpy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the biggest i have worked with here is 1000 KCMIL....or MCM i guess for you americans.....****in huge....

KCMIL is a quantity of measure units; KCMIL is 1000 CMILS. All wire sizes larger than 4 ought AWG are given as KCMIL sizes. KCMIL wire size is the equivalent cross sectional area in thousands of circular mils. A circular MIL (CMIL) is the area of a circle with a diameter of one thousandth (0.001) of an inch, often termed CMA. Be aware that the wire sizes in the KCMIL system increase as the numbers get larger, which is exactly opposite from the AWG system.
from http://www.csgnetwork.com/glossaryk.html#KCMIL

so big and thick the rolls have to be unloaded with a crane of sorts....they call it flexable...if you can cut off a foot of it and use it to smash out windows and kill someone, i don't call it flexable....or if you need a 2 foot piece of ridgit conduit to make it bend where you want it to, cause it's to thick to manipulate.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.