Ground to battery?

I stand by my words. Grounding to the battery relies on the ground of the battery to support the grounding of more electrical than it was designed to handle. It is also NOT the most direct grounding path which is electrical 101 - Make the ground as short and direct as possible. Ground to the chassis.

I stand by my words. Grounding to the battery relies on the ground of the battery to support the grounding of more electrical than it was designed to handle. It is also NOT the most direct grounding path which is electrical 101 - Make the ground as short and direct as possible. Ground to the chassis.
yea since the battery is grounded to the FUCKING CHASSIS!

YOU CAN GROUND TO THE CHASSIS ALL YOU WANT...THE ELECTRICITY STILL HAS TO PASS TO THE BATTERY NEGATIVE!!! for christ sake

3 foot ground to the chassis stil means it has to travel 10'+ to the batt negitive.

all that means is he will have to upgrade the battery ground cable which has already been stated no matter where he grounds it gunna go through the same place either way

I continue to stand by my words. Grounding to the battery may work just fine, but by not grounding directly to the chassis you are just throwing a possible link of failure or problems down the road. Again this electrical 101.

I continue to stand by my words. Grounding to the battery may work just fine, but by not grounding directly to the chassis you are just throwing a possible link of failure or problems down the road. Again this electrical 101.
I dont agree with your reasoning, but I have read the battery is the noisiest place in the cars electrical system, and it's advised not to ground there. The reason was that the alternator puts out dirty power and the battery cleans it up, basically acting as a capacitor.

I don't have enough knowledge to say if it's true or not, but just throwing it out there.

icon_blahblah.gif

please explain.

enlighten us, on how grounding to the battery will cause problems, and also, what kind of problems...

I dont agree with your reasoning, but I have read the battery is the noisiest place in the cars electrical system, and it's advised not to ground there. The reason was that the alternator puts out dirty power and the battery cleans it up, basically acting as a capacitor.
I don't have enough knowledge to say if it's true or not, but just throwing it out there.
the battery is grounded to the chassis.

by grounding to the chassis, you are using the chassis as the "ground wire" if you will.

there is no difference.

You keep saying it's electrical 101, have you taken any electrical courses? I've been an electrician for 14 years and your wrong. Grounding to the same spot the battery is grounded is adding another possible link of failure, the wire from battery to chassis is the return path to the battery. Since the OPs battery is mounted in the trunk just take it right to the batt.

the battery is grounded to the chassis.
by grounding to the chassis, you are using the chassis as the "ground wire" if you will.

there is no difference.
thanks for that great info... but what you said had nothing to do with what quoted

I've been searching for that article, but I can't find it again.

The article said proximity (not to be confused with continuity //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif) to the negative terminal can introduce noise into said circuit. I'll keep looking because from what I remember it was a reliable source, just can't seem to find it again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.