Negative battery ground?

Noobie34

CarAudio.com Newbie
Atlanta
Im brand new going to put my first install in. I am going with 0-to-4-gauge wire and have 1 question. I have 2020 Kia Optima and on the negative battery terminal is a battery sensor attached to the ground wire of the battery. If i upgrade that to 0 will i mess up that sensor?

Welcome

I can share my experience w a sensor on my impala. It’s a current sensor on the negative, it reads voltage coming back through the ground to tell the body and engine control modules at what rate to charge. Having ac on or rolling up the windows, headlights, radio cranked all will vary the charge rate.
My sensor ring originally had the ground from the starter and the wire from battery negative. The sensor has a lead that plugs into something and goes somewhere lol. It also was crimped into the batter negative. My mistake came by crimping the sensor negative into the replacement 0 ga. That messsed it up. I tried all kinds of things that inevitably worked but were costly and unnecessary. Still solid but, the problem was resolved when I moved the sensor negative to a solid ground in the chassis. It’s almost like having the bigger wire caused uncertainty in the negative read.
I chased ground loop, changed routing, sizing and the fix came when I eliminated the ground I mimicked w the main battery ground integration into the sensor negative by separating them.

It’s now 4/0 from alternator to battery. 4/0 from battery to chassis then 0ga fused going back to feed the amps. I’m back the ground is made at a hole in the metal section between trunk and passenger compartments using 4/0 then distributed to a second battery, capacitor and on to amps.

Summary is you can work around the sensor but it may cause some chasing around if you get fluctuations in your charging system at minimum draw from the system.

Welcome

I can share my experience w a sensor on my impala. It’s a current sensor on the negative, it reads voltage coming back through the ground to tell the body and engine control modules at what rate to charge. Having ac on or rolling up the windows, headlights, radio cranked all will vary the charge rate.
My sensor ring originally had the ground from the starter and the wire from battery negative. The sensor has a lead that plugs into something and goes somewhere lol. It also was crimped into the batter negative. My mistake came by crimping the sensor negative into the replacement 0 ga. That messsed it up. I tried all kinds of things that inevitably worked but were costly and unnecessary. Still solid but, the problem was resolved when I moved the sensor negative to a solid ground in the chassis. It’s almost like having the bigger wire caused uncertainty in the negative read.
I chased ground loop, changed routing, sizing and the fix came when I eliminated the ground I mimicked w the main battery ground integration into the sensor negative by separating them.

It’s now 4/0 from alternator to battery. 4/0 from battery to chassis then 0ga fused going back to feed the amps. I’m back the ground is made at a hole in the metal section between trunk and passenger compartments using 4/0 then distributed to a second battery, capacitor and on to amps.

Summary is you can work around the sensor but it may cause some chasing around if you get fluctuations in your charging system at minimum draw from the system.
Thank You sounds like a pain in the ass lol. If i just keep that negative the same and dont upgrade what happens?

I can only say, it’s suggested that positive and negative are of the same size. If 0ga will fit through that sensor thing then that’s a plus. If the wire going to the sensor is on its own that’s good. Take pictures before so if needed you can go back. If possible retain the positive and negative original wire harnesses bc they’re spensive to buy. If you have pics you can improve them to bigger and better.

I can only say, it’s suggested that positive and negative are of the same size. If 0ga will fit through that sensor thing then that’s a plus. If the wire going to the sensor is on its own that’s good. Take pictures before so if needed you can go back. If possible retain the positive and negative original wire harnesses bc they’re spensive to buy. If you have pics you can improve them to bigger and better.
Thank You again it sounds like if i do what u did to start i will screw it up. The negative just screws underneath and to the side is that sensor attached to it with a battery terminal that goes right on the battery. They are together not on there own hmm now not to sure what to or just leave it as is.

Thank You again it sounds like if i do what u did to start i will screw it up. The negative just screws underneath and to the side is that sensor attached to it with a battery terminal that goes right on the battery. They are together not on there own hmm now not to sure what to or just leave it as is.

Attachments

• 20230704_124447.jpg
    20230704_124447.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 15
That just unclips from the sensor the ground is were the screw is and that hole is were the sensor goes in eight on the battery terminal did not know if that would help or not.

Yeah it is 1 piece I can remove the original ground wire replace it with 0 from the same spot and run it right to that screw and back on the terminal I just was not sure if that would mess it up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Noobie34

CarAudio.com Newbie
Noobie34
Atlanta
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views