Got a new vehicle - upgrading audio need advice

Picked up a new 2019 Ram 2500 crew cab this week. Back seat has under-seat storage bins which I HATE! Very few options for hidden sub boxes. Fox makes something that takes up the entire space below the seats, but I carry some recovery gear I need about half of the space for that. Supposedly Fox also has an enclosure that only uses one side under the back seat, but no pictures and due to Covid-19 they are not in production. So I'll probably end up making my own from fiberglass and templates. If anyone knows of an option I did not find in my google search, I'd love to hear about it. There is not much room behind the seat. I removed the back seat last night to check that option out. But a low profile sub might fit. The sub I have (JL Audio 13TW5v2 in sealed wedge box) won't fit. The JL box will barely fit on the floor board behind the driver's seat and I may do that temporarily while I figure out a better option for this truck.

I took my Pioneer 1000 watt amp and Alpine 500 mono amp, as well as my Alpine sub in sealed box out of my old truck. Plan to use the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 teed off my factory HU to drive those amps. I've never used a digital signal processor and have my doubts about the DSR1...but I have to try and learn.

The Ram has Active Noise Cancelling built into the factory stereo. 4 mini speakers/mics in the ceiling picking up noise and cancelling through the stereo. I thought about unplugging that and tiring into the speakers under the driver's seat, but read that some who have done that regretted not having the ANC. That would certainly be cheaper to do...as well as not needing to rip the dash apart(which is not that big of a deal).

For now I plan to utilize the factory 6x9's in the dash and doors, driven by the Pioneer GM-A-4704. Am I going to hate this option?

Next question- with the DSR1, the logical place to mount it is behind the stereo HU. I wonder if splicing and extending wires I could mount that under the seats next to the amp. It would make it easier to swap equipment in the future.

So those are my thoughts right now. Any suggestions, tips, advice hugely appreciated before I dive in and start splicing wires.

I used a DSR1 for my Ford factory headunit. It's great but like anything takes some getting used to. You should be able to get a harness that plugs directly into the factory amp and replaces it with the DSR1. Then add your 4 channel and monoblock amp for the subwoofer. They sell extended harnesses as well if you want to place it farther away from the factory amp.

There is no factory amp. And I got the meastro tee harness for my truck. The DSR1 has 6 channels. Two of which are averaged. It has capacity for one more channel to run the front stage. I didn't do anything to the front stage on my last truck. I think I'd like to this time around .

I might have been a little confused...and not sure I have the right info even now.

Looks like I have 2 ea. 3.5 mid range speakers in the corners of the dash, near base of the pillars. 2ea. 6 inch components in front doors. 2ea. 6x9s in the rear doors.

Everything I read says 6 speaker system is set up as stated. But I also have a speaker grill in the middle of the dash. I'll have to peel the dash off to see what's under that.

So I just order CS Series kickers all the way around (except for the center grill that I don't know about yet). I chose the kickers only because they match the RMS watts and Impedance ratings of the amplifiers. Oh, and I picked up another Pioneer 2 channel amp to drive the front stage. I have one channel left so should I add a 6 inch something to the center dash if it can mount there? Or if I open the dash and find a speaker in that location I'll just match what that is.

Kicker 46CSC54 5.25 2 WAY FOR ALL 4 DOORS
KICKER 46CSC354 3.5 2 WAY FOR CORNERS OF THE DASH

I've never installed kicker speakers or equipment before. I have factory installed kickers in my camper and don't like them but that could be more related to the cheesy stereo (no amp) running them.

Damn...its lonely in here having this conversation with myself. Apparently this is not where you go to ask for help with the design.

So I peeled open the dash and found the center speaker grill is not even a grill. Just looks like one. No speaker located in the center and not enough space to add one without modifying the dash.

Now I have to rethink the speakers/amplifier matchup. Was planning to run the two smaller kickers in series to create 6.4 ohm impedance. One channel would give 60 watts or so (at 4 ohms) and these speakers would be perfect. the second channel was to be used for the center speaker. Since there is no center speaker I can put one dash corner on each of the two channels. But then the speakers would be way under powered.

So I went looking for a good match for 4 ohm, 65 watts speakers and found the Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C would be a great match for that amp. Then decided the KFC-1696PS 6-1/2 in the doors would make more sense for the other 4 channel pioneer amp. Sending all the Kickers back as soon as they arrive (tried cancelling but they already shipped).

I'm feeling much better about this setup. But again, have never installed Kenwood so I don't know how they will sound. Hope I picked a good speaker setup.

Attachments

• 2020-06-16 17.40.40.jpg
    2020-06-16 17.40.40.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 169
To bring it full circle...the original question was would I hate it if I used the factory door speakers with the pioneer amp. I'm kinda surprised it sounds pretty good for factory speakers. But still obviously factory speakers. The Sub probably makes it sound better. But it gets pretty loud before distorting.

Hopefully the new speakers show up early next week.

To bring it full circle...the original question was would I hate it if I used the factory door speakers with the pioneer amp. I'm kinda surprised it sounds pretty good for factory speakers. But still obviously factory speakers. The Sub probably makes it sound better. But it gets pretty loud before distorting.

Hopefully the new speakers show up early next week.
So you could have thrown tweeters in the 3.5 location (using adapters) and raw 6.5 mids in the front door. Just put a four channel on that front stage and get substage dialed in. The 6x9 rear aren’t really doing anything amazing for your sound stage

Dont waste money on rear speakers ..since your camping yhe front speakers the new factory dual cone 6x9s would be perfect for rear fill ...keep them on deck power ... or if you have to amp them something very low power like 10x2 or 15x2 and band pass ot to keep highs out ... if you dont hear them with the everything else that is great ... they are working ...

If your using deck power on them .. you'll need a band pass crossover on them you want them to produce in the vocal range ..sorta like a center ch area ...

When adjusting from the deck using the fader you'll want to adjust till your just starting to hear them then take away just a little...

But easiest is to delete rear speakers all together ...subs belong in the rear not speakers unless you like listening to a concert when your walking out the door

Great advice on the rear speakers. I realize I could have done tweeters in the dash but chose to go with 3.5 midrange and use the EQ to send lows up there. I've never been a big fan of the tweeters up front without some fill. Just a personal preference. I am tone def on the lows so that accounts for a preference variation.

The kenwoods and the new 2 channel amp showed up in the mail today. All the wiring is done. May as well keep moving the direction I laid out above. Have not sent the kickers back yet...holding on to them as a plan B option until I hear the results with these Kenwoods.

Hope to get the dash hooked up tonight...since I programmed the DSR1 to send warning chime to the front I don't get the warning when I cut someone in my blind spot off on the highway...ask me how I know that. The music fades away but nothing going "Ding, Ding, Ding -- don't run into that guy".

yeah...me too. I got the speakers installed and all I get is white noise form the ANC. Before I adjust the gain I ordered a bypass module to kill the ANC. Paid extra for overnight shipping. Hopefully tomorrow night I get to see what they sound like.

I decided to run the configuration wizard on the Perfect Tunes and suddenly all that white noise went away and the audio started playing. Looks like I don't need to by-pass the ANC system. Nice.

So the installation is complete now. All three amps hooked up. All speakers installed. It sounds much better than the factory unit. But now I need to adjust the gains on all three amps. And my DD1 crapped out on me. I wish I took a picture of it...looks like my lab got ahold of it and chewed the snit out of it. I might just grab an oscilloscope from work and take it home tonight. I did order a new DD1 but I don't think I can wait for the mailman again. What ever happened to the days when you just run out to the local audio store and pick your stuff up? LOL

At volume level 20 (out of 38) this thing is loud and clear. Turn it up to 25 and I start to hear distortion. I suppose I could use a Vohm meter and get it pretty close but I can't remember the formulas...it's been so long since I've done it that way. Anyone got the formula for a vOhm meter?

Ok...I got the gain adjusted on all three amps and I have to say, these Kenwood's sound awesome. Using DSR1 EQ I push bass to the rear doors, mid range to the front doors and highs( 800 and above) to the dash. The sub is thumping deep dark bass. I'm really happy with this set up.

I'm really glad I went with amps on all 4 channels . I'm able to balance everything with full control. Time alignment was super smooth. Everything dialed in with gains. And it sounds balanced .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Sierra Nate
Reno, NV
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Sierra Nate
1000007975.jpg