Going Active / Adding Dedicated Midbass Questions

Knowmadic
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So right now I've decided to take a pretty big leap and invest some solid cash into my build. The aim is SQ with a personal touch though. I prefer a nice solid punch/kick in my music but the rest of the system I like to be nice and balanced, nothing overly loud or boomy. I've done some research and for the most part found what I'd like but I had a few questions about certain pieces.

I plan on running active and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my HU to do so (To an 80PRS, Alpine 9887, Kenwood KDC x996). I know normally you would but I'm getting the JBL MS-8 Digital Sound Processor. So does that mean I could get away with an average headunit and just use the MS-8 to run active?

After looking into the JBL MS-8 I saw that you could designate "Low front, Mid front, High front" Would it be alright just using a component set of speakers with just a woofer and tweeter or should I invest in a dedicated midbass?

If I invest in said dedicated midbass 1) What driver would help me get the punch and SQ mix I want and 2) How would I incorporate that into my door/car - kick panels? What would need fabricating etc... If I invested in these dedicated midbass would it be an alternative to put it in the rear deck or should I keep them upfront and leave nothing in the back but a sub?

If I go active I can use my existing 4 channel amp (Alpine PDX-F4) but if I add those extra midbass that makes it so I need a new amplifier to power them. Would it be smarter to just get a new amp for the tweeters and use the dedicated midbass with the midrange woofers?

Finally, I have factory dash speakers that are currently unplugged and no aftermarket ones fit in there. Will I be fine leaving that empty as long as tweeters are in the A pillar? I don't think I have enough channels on the JBL MS-8 to add them anyway..

Thanks ahead for the help and suggestions. I'm 100% open to suggests/information etc

I plan on running active and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my HU to do so (To an 80PRS, Alpine 9887, Kenwood KDC x996). I know normally you would but I'm getting the JBL MS-8 Digital Sound Processor. So does that mean I could get away with an average headunit and just use the MS-8 to run active?
This is half true. You can get away with a head unit that doesn't offer alot of tuning features since your MS8 will be doing the processing for you, but you dont want just an average unit. You want a unit that is going to put out a very clean signal. Remember, wherever there is a messy signal, its going to pass all the way through the chain. I cant recommend a head unit, Ive only used a handful myself, but others Im sure can. But you want it to give a clean signal for your MS8 to use.

After looking into the JBL MS-8 I saw that you could designate "Low front, Mid front, High front" Would it be alright just using a component set of speakers with just a woofer and tweeter or should I invest in a dedicated midbass?
This depends. Since you are doing this type of install with this kind of equipmenet, I would personally get a dedicated midbass. BUT, some 6.5s can get pretty low and sound good. A dedicated midbass would add to your SQ I believe though, considering its dedicated to those frequencies.

If I invest in said dedicated midbass 1) What driver would help me get the punch and SQ mix I want and 2) How would I incorporate that into my door/car - kick panels? What would need fabricating etc... If I invested in these dedicated midbass would it be an alternative to put it in the rear deck or should I keep them upfront and leave nothing in the back but a sub?
Since you are open to modifications and fabrications, dont put anything in the back. You do want everything up front. WHERE they would sound best is hard to determine. Placing them in the doors, you could cut a hole. Also adding them in some custom kickpanels could get them in the car. AIMING and crossover points are key. @keep_hope_alive; can help with this.

If I go active I can use my existing 4 channel amp (Alpine PDX-F4) but if I add those extra midbass that makes it so I need a new amplifier to power them. Would it be smarter to just get a new amp for the tweeters and use the dedicated midbass with the midrange woofers?
Considering you dont want anything loud and boomy, 100 watts would be perfectly fine for dedicated midbasses if this was the route you were going to go. Get another amp for your tweets. 100 watts will give you all the punch you need, especialy if they are mounted up front.

Finally, I have factory dash speakers that are currently unplugged and no aftermarket ones fit in there. Will I be fine leaving that empty as long as tweeters are in the A pillar? I don't think I have enough channels on the JBL MS-8 to add them anyway..
You could leave them, or use that spot to test it as another speaker location. Them being their isn't hurting anything.

Thanks @calebkhill. I get that a crappy HU will put out a crappy signal but can I still use the JBL MS-8 instead of getting one of those HU's to run active?

Anyone else want to chip in their .02 cents?

The MS-8 will analyze, Un-EQ, and flatten the incoming signal. You really don't need a new head unit, especially since you have a recent aftermarket HU.

Give Extreme Audio a call since we talked about them already. I really think you'll get some excellent insight from them to help plan your upgrades.

a dedicated midbass will require dedicated airspace. you don't want midbass and midrange in the same airspace. doors are decent locations for dedicated midbass and easy to implement. a dash is a good location for a dedicated midrange (3" is a good size), even the factory locations are a simple location to play with (with some work to seal the rear airspace). you would need another amp to run a 3-way front active - but it can be worth it. taking midrange out of the larger woofer allows you to push the woofer harder and not lose detail in vocals and instruments. end result is louder and cleaner.

the main concern with low quality head units is distortion on the outputs. an MS-8 can't eliminate distortion that is in the original signal, it just compensates for level differences in frequency bands. while the source doesn't need to be amazing, you just need to operate it intelligently and not expect to crank the source volume.

a dedicated midbass will require dedicated airspace. you don't want midbass and midrange in the same airspace. doors are decent locations for dedicated midbass and easy to implement. a dash is a good location for a dedicated midrange (3" is a good size), even the factory locations are a simple location to play with (with some work to seal the rear airspace). you would need another amp to run a 3-way front active - but it can be worth it. taking midrange out of the larger woofer allows you to push the woofer harder and not lose detail in vocals and instruments. end result is louder and cleaner.
the main concern with low quality head units is distortion on the outputs. an MS-8 can't eliminate distortion that is in the original signal, it just compensates for level differences in frequency bands. while the source doesn't need to be amazing, you just need to operate it intelligently and not expect to crank the source volume.
So right now I have my tweeters mounted on the A pillars and nothing in the stock 3.5" location. Would it still be good to throw the 3.5"s up there with the tweeters and throw a dedicated midbass in the factory location? Should I stick with the factory 6.5" or go bigger for the midbass?

Right now I have a JVC KD-x40 which isn't the greatest of HU's but it's not a scrap yard headunit. Would you recommend upgrading and if so to what? I would do the 80PRS but I think that might be a little pointless if I'm adding in the MS-8.

Thanks for replies.

So right now I have my tweeters mounted on the A pillars and nothing in the stock 3.5" location. Would it still be good to throw the 3.5"s up there with the tweeters and throw a dedicated midbass in the factory location? Should I stick with the factory 6.5" or go bigger for the midbass?
Right now I have a JVC KD-x40 which isn't the greatest of HU's but it's not a scrap yard headunit. Would you recommend upgrading and if so to what? I would do the 80PRS but I think that might be a little pointless if I'm adding in the MS-8.

Thanks for replies.
what kind of vehicle are we talking about. I would look into building kick pods for the dedicated midbass if you decide to put in midbass drivers.

what kind of vehicle are we talking about. I would look into building kick pods for the dedicated midbass if you decide to put in midbass drivers.
2001 Dodge Neon. There really isn't too much room for kick panels.. I can try getting pictures though

Id keep the tweets, 6.5s and add a midbass, tune them with the ms8.As far as your head unit goes, how is the quality sound wise?

If its good the you wouldn't need to upgrade.
It's not that good to be honest. It's adequate but I definitely am looking for more so I think a new headunit is in order as well, just don't know which one to get.

How far are you from Richmond?
I'm about 1hour 45 mins, why?

It's not that good to be honest. It's adequate but I definitely am looking for more so I think a new headunit is in order as well, just don't know which one to get.

I'm about 1hour 45 mins, why?
April 28th.. Huge event.. Ill let you hear a real mid bass setup

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.