gluing wood together when building an enclosure

If you use screws, you can get away without using the clamps, but clamps are still nice to have anyway. You can get a pair of 4ft clamps from Harbor Freight for bout $25.

Just be sure to predrill and countersink the holes and go at least 1inch in from the corners or you'll risk splitting.

I usually predrill and countersink the top board, add glue to the panel I am attaching, secure it with a 90 degree clamp, extend my predrilled holes into that board, then screw and clamp.

90 degree clamp:

31HMMRPZ42L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you do not have clamps then you have use some type of force to hold it together while the glue sets. Screws will work and is done all the time.

Make sure when you glue the pieces together that you are not just tossing a bead down. It is better to smear it around a bit and get an even coat where the wood will meet.

If you use screws, you can get away without using the clamps, but clamps are still nice to have anyway. You can get a pair of 4ft clamps from Harbor Freight for bout $25.
Just be sure to predrill and countersink the holes and go at least 1inch in from the corners or you'll risk splitting.
This, and when you drill it in especially on a corner apply plenty of vertical pressure to the drill and drill in quickly. If you haven't already, you may want to play around with different sized drill bits until you find one that gives you plenty of strength and doesn't split the wood. The one I use is around 1/16" in diameter

I forget the size of the bit I use but its a bit and a countersink all in one. I think its called a Screwmate and is made by Stanley. They are kind of hard to find but you can find them at specialty tool shops. The design has been changed/cheapend over the years, so there are some well made ones and cheapass ones, be sure to compare so you arent buying junk.

I use tite bond 2 and screws and also clamps. I have around 20 clamps but need more. Current box im building is 41w by 40 deep and I dont have nearly enough clapms for this so screw come in handy. I also use caulk for the inside seams for sealant. Liquid nails can harden and crack so it isint the best sealer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.