Wood treatment

Participant count
  • Participant list

Taxed1

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am building a birch ported box and after watching some YouTube videos one particular builder quickly says that he treats the inside of the sub box but he doesn’t say with what. Can I treat the inside of the box with clear polycrylic? Will it affect the sound or is it completely unnecessary to treat the inside of the box. I am going to stain the outside but I’m just wondering about the inside.

I am building a birch ported box and after watching some YouTube videos one particular builder quickly says that he treats the inside of the sub box but he doesn’t say with what. Can I treat the inside of the box with clear polycrylic? Will it affect the sound or is it completely unnecessary to treat the inside of the box. I am going to stain the outside but I’m just wondering about the inside.
Well, you do live in Florida and plywood tends to absorb humidity more than MDF so if you’re going to do it, Minwax Rub-On (water based polyurethane) would be my choice. Water based only as you do not want to have solvent based fumes in there affecting the surrounds or the cones over time. Personally unless you are going to have a plexiglas viewing window or something where the finish of the insides are visible, I wouldn’t waste my time and $$$.

The only inside treatment that actually makes any difference is sealing all the cracks with silicone or the like to keep the enclosure from leaking. I do inside and outside

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...