how will extra spiders effect design?

plugger
10+ year member

dont know if this is the right section or if it should be in subwoofers but here goes

single 15" audioque HDC3 box build, all i know about the sub is it was ordered with "extra" spiders

i will be pushing it with 1200-1500 watts rms. should i change the box audioque recommends for this sub to account for the extra spiders the sub was built with? any help appreciated

Subs with tighter suspensions tend to need larger boxes. You're not really pushing it with a ton of power, so I'm gonna go ahead and say your box is gonna have to be me huge.

Subs with tighter suspensions tend to need larger boxes.
uhhh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

pretty sure its the opposite way around, tighter suspensions need less volume, there are still other parameters like qts that must be considered as well.

uhhh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
pretty sure its the opposite way around, tighter suspensions need less volume.
Wrong. Tighter suspensions need much larger enclosures. They inherently have a higher fs. More spiders should only be used if the woofer is bottoming out. The looser the suspension can be without mechanically reaching it's limits while maintaining linearity will yield the highest efficiency and extend to the lowest frequencies.

Wrong. Tighter suspensions need much larger enclosures. They inherently have a higher fs. More spiders should only be used if the woofer is bottoming out. The looser the suspension can be without mechanically reaching it's limits while maintaining linearity will yield the highest efficiency and extend to the lowest frequencies.
and bingo was his name-o

Tighter suspension with high motor force will yield a low Q and a small Vas. Both equal a small enclosure.

So for example a mt with 5 spiders will shine in a small box, say 5 cubes. that would not be a very efficient setup.

Your example of a small box for an unknown size of driver is not realistic.

Simply put, high Vas figures equal a large enclosure. I'm not talking about efficiency or any other factor. High Vas figures come from soft, highly compliant spiders. Not multiple stiff spiders.

sorry meant to say an mt 18. The original question was "should i change the box audioque recommends for this sub to account for the extra spiders the sub was built with? "

So on the same power in the same enclosure same subs more spiders he might has a lose in score. unless he increased box size or power.

You said a tighter suspension with high motor force equals a small enclosure correct? Kinda opposite of the truth in this case. HDC-3 motors are not super strong but if you keep putting spiders on them your small box will become a less efficient setup

So your contention is that fs doesn't matter at all?
That's a bit presumptuous. I think we should agree on a criteria before we really go back and forth. My focus is solely on root question - how will extra spiders have an effect? My root answer was that extra spiders will drive down the Vas figure. Yes, Fs will go up as well.
Qts will matter more than Fs when it comes to high Vas figures.

sorry meant to say an mt 18. The original question was "should i change the box audioque recommends for this sub to account for the extra spiders the sub was built with? "So on the same power in the same enclosure same subs more spiders he might has a lose in score. unless he increased box size or power.

You said a tighter suspension with high motor force equals a small enclosure correct? Kinda opposite of the truth in this case. HDC-3 motors are not super strong but if you keep putting spiders on them your small box will become a less efficient setup
I see the logic you are using and you're correct from the efficiency standpoint. I'm not trying to be a dickhead, don't take it that way. I was more interested in addressing the statement that eCrack made concerning tighter suspensions need larger enclosures as an absolute.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.