Wood?

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
I've been asking the local shops for a sealed box built for my si sql 15's (a recent health issue kinda prevents me from using power tools). I wannted to do 1" pine plywood but I'm getting told it's the equivalent of 1/2" mdf in strength. Of course they all offer to do it in birch but this is a temp box until I can find the right person to do a labyrinth ported box built to spec (gotta save of a bit cash to since I'm sure it won't be cheap 😂).

My question is 1" pine plywood that much weaker or am I being upsold like it feels? What I could find about wood types Pine ain't the most popular but I couldn't find any dramatic performance issues building boxes from it.

I've been asking the local shops for a sealed box built for my si sql 15's (a recent health issue kinda prevents me from using power tools). I wannted to do 1" pine plywood but I'm getting told it's the equivalent of 1/2" mdf in strength. Of course they all offer to do it in birch but this is a temp box until I can find the right person to do a labyrinth ported box built to spec (gotta save of a bit cash to since I'm sure it won't be cheap 😂).

My question is 1" pine plywood that much weaker or am I being upsold like it feels? What I could find about wood types Pine ain't the most popular but I couldn't find any dramatic performance issues building boxes from it.
How much power will you feed those 15’s?

I've used plenty of pine over the years and most studies actually show very little differences between mdf, pine and birch of similar layers.

Mdf and birch are nearly identical but birch is half the weight. Pine isn't far behind

I wasn't 100% sure of that but I figured pine was wasn't weaker than mdf...I hate the my local shops 😂
Those guys prob. just want to use what they have laying around in the shop more than likely rather than Coining up on different wood to have to purchase. Plus.. MDF is easier to work with

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...