Get Your SPL Related Questions Answered Here!

ok question, now this isnt what can gain more db question...because i kno there are so many factors. this is more of a personal question.which 2 boxes do you like better.

1. CRX style...wit subs up ports back

2. or subs and ports both facin back

i have a chevy blazer, and right now a crx box for spl comps. i just wanted to kno what everyone else thinks is more effective n like better.
depends.. are you competing in dash legal SPL, or outlaw style..

one style does better legal, and another style works better outlaw.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Loyd L.

last one i competed in was near the kicker panel. next one is on the 1st n thats goin by dash.

but no comps aroun here are illegal, all legal. so wich u think is better?

KK, new question. Should I brace my box on the outside or the inside??? I don't want my box to be huge so if I can save some air inside I am going to do it. Just cerious if that has any affect on the sound or anything....

Thanks...

Jon

i know its not a crazy spl setup but im gunna be running 4 RE8's on a RF 500.2 (645 watts birthsheet) im gunna go 2 cubes obviously, its in a b2200, im not sure exactly on what i should port it at seeing that i want SQL out of these, i was thinking something like 35? if its allowed i can fold my passenge seast forward and my driver seat completely back to open paths for air, change visors, take out center console, all that stuff. im not sure what resonant freq. of the truck is, but i guess in logic a closed cab would be louder than a trunk? let me know what u think, and yota if u have AIM my name is sacreddispute03, i may want to use the mic some weekends, as im in orlando. u ever make trips around the state?

about 2-3.5 db
also gain .5 to 1.5 db for removing the rear deck speakers..

Loyd L.
Ok, Ive looked around and getting a different seat is totally out of the question. The work needed to track one down isnt something I wanna deal with right now. So, With the setup I have now would you recommend getting the most out of my system.

Subs_and_box.jpg

^^^Heres where I currently have it because I need to let the fan on my PG amp breath.

Ampinstall.jpg

^^^^Heres my amp which is installed on the back of the seat. Do you think it would be wise for me to take the seat right out and jump to another class?

Or just flip the box facing forward and seal it off?

What are some tricks for walls?
First measure everything. Realise you may have to actually build the box for the wall inside of the vehicle. If you have to do this, anchor what loyd calls a 'dance floor' The Dance Floor is just some MDF securely anchored to the floor of the vehicle, or where the floor of the box will be. It is on top of this dance floor where you will assemble the box for your wall. Having the dance floor inplace allows you to rotate and move the big box around easily to screw and glue everything together.

Typically, your box will be completely assembled save the face of it. (Double layer your box or triple it if you are worried about flex - recommended for anything over 10cubes.)

Once the 5 sides are together and dried, secure this box to the dance floor/car.

Since your box is 1.5-2.25" thick, you now have room to have an interchangable face, yet still keep that facia around the boxface to keep the rest of the car sealed off. You can use Lag Bolts to secure the face to the box. (Lag bolts are the very coarsely threaded bolts that screw into a lead sinker. The lead sinker is placed inside a hole and as the lag bolt screws into the sinker the sinker expands. You'll need 2.25" minimum for this to work.... 3" - 4.25" would be preferable)

For the facia around the face plate, I'd HIGHLY recommend buying a contour gauge so you can draw a line perfectly identicle to your interior. I'd also recommend carpeting the facia pieces unless you are after SPL only....

Make your port VERY sturdy and thick!! If the port is ~3" thick, you can place a 3" PVC 1/2 pipe at the end to reduce turbulence...

Remember the port is the point of TREMENDOUS acoustical pressure where spl will exceed 170dB.... 170dB at 40-50hz WILL shear drywall screws with EASE, so make sure the port is STURDY!

alright heres a good question, i think. i'm not sure how to say this but i'll give it a shot.

lately i have been trying out some tones and things w/o a mic. is there a point were turning the volume up so much would cause flexing on the vehicle, which would make it not be as loud as a lower volume, but by keeping the volume down, stop the flexing?

did u guys understand that? if not i'll try explaining it again

KK, new question. Should I brace my box on the outside or the inside??? I don't want my box to be huge so if I can save some air inside I am going to do it. Just cerious if that has any affect on the sound or anything....

Thanks...

Jon
Wow that is a good question! Now only if someone smart could help us out and give us an anwser...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif;)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif;)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif;)

Jon

i have a Q. in my burb would it be better to fold down the 2nd row seats for more db. the box is facing the back with no carpet on the tailgate(fell off). maby put a sheet of mdf over the folded seats so the carped doesnt absorb the waves ? just wonderin.

ok i asked this in a thread aswell just incase. so if its not answered there maybe it will be answered here, i hope.

Distortion

ok Distortin, yes it is bad for a sub....real bad. buuuuut will distortion in SPL give u a higher DB?

what im saying is if u crank the volume n etc.... all the way up where u kno theres distortion, will it lessen ur db rating or higher it because its still louder?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.