Front speakers....No sound?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jargey99

CarAudio.com Newbie
home
I've lost the sound in my 2 front speakers (OEM) in my 2016 Corolla. The 2 little tweeters up top in the doors still work, but the 2 main speakers in the doors are not working. The rear speakers are fine.
Any idea on the cause of this...and the fix? 🤷‍♂️ Thanks!

Well, since there are separate tweeters, going to assume that it is a 6 speaker system. Do you own a multimeter? I would check to see if anything at all is getting to the speakers. I’m not really that familiar with this OEM system but it sounds like you lost the output section of the OEM amp or the head unit if there isn’t an OEM amp. Strange that just the door speakers and at the same time? I would put a voltmeter starting at the dash and then the amp (if applicable) all the way to the speakers to see where the signal stops.

On most basic factory stereos, the tweeters and the door speakers are connected to the same channels. Best guess is that both front speakers are blown. Depending on what kind of music you listen to, one of the speakers may have been blown for a while without you realizing it.

On most basic factory stereos, the tweeters and the door speakers are connected to the same channels. Best guess is that both front speakers are blown. Depending on what kind of music you listen to, one of the speakers may have been blown for a while without you realizing it.
Was thinking that as well.

I've lost the sound in my 2 front speakers (OEM) in my 2016 Corolla. The 2 little tweeters up top in the doors still work, but the 2 main speakers in the doors are not working. The rear speakers are fine.
Any idea on the cause of this...and the fix? 🤷‍♂️ Thanks!
Sometimes it's the simple things. Try pulling the leads from the door speakers and testing them on some old POS speaker lying around, see if the speakers are blown OR use a voltmeter as I mentioned to test the output. If you're lucky, blown speakers will be the issue.

Well, since there are separate tweeters, going to assume that it is a 6 speaker system. Do you own a multimeter? I would check to see if anything at all is getting to the speakers. I’m not really that familiar with this OEM system but it sounds like you lost the output section of the OEM amp or the head unit if there isn’t an OEM amp. Strange that just the door speakers and at the same time? I would put a voltmeter starting at the dash and then the amp (if applicable) all the way to the speakers to see where the signal stops.
no, sorry, I don't own a multi meter
FWIW....for a while there, before I lost the sound...I could sort of make the sound come back on by turning the volume up & down quickly a few times... The speakers would sort of "kick in", and work ok, for a while.... That trick doesn't work any more.
Does that shed any light, on the problem?

That sounds like the HU may be on the fritz. Since you know that there is a signal to the tweeters, run a jumper wire from a tweeter to the speakers to test them out. Could still be the speakers and that would point you back to the HU or the connections if the speakers are fine. Process of elimination.

Last edited:
Since the tweeters are likely on the same output as the door woofers, I would not suspect the head unit. Instead, the history of using volume to re-engage them sounds like a bad connection. Would be awfully odd to have that happen in each door at the same time tho...

Since the tweeters are likely on the same output as the door woofers, I would not suspect the head unit. Instead, the history of using volume to re-engage them sounds like a bad connection. Would be awfully odd to have that happen in each door at the same time tho...
Best just to test the speakers with another source and work backward from there.

I would pull each speaker and test as well . Check with a DMM and a different HU or? as stated. A 12v battery and an Old HU usually works just fine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...