Front battery delete / LTO

Participant count
  • Participant list

K9_Candyman

CarAudio.com Recruit
Germany
I want to know your opinion about my idea. I want to remove the front battery and put behind the seat 120ah LTO Yinlong cells, from the alternator (150ah charging at 14.5v) to the cell's, one 95 mm2 welding cable, what do you think?

I deleted my front battery for 80AH of Yinlong. I would charge closer to ~15.5v if possible. No doubt you will be happy with the performance though.

120ah is a lot though. What will you be using it for? I would go for a bigger alt with less cells.

I have taramps 8k for 2 15s, 1 taramps 3k for the left door, 1 taramps 3k for the right and 1 audison 4 channel for the highs. Is a problem if my alternator charge only at 14.5?

I have taramps 8k for 2 15s, 1 taramps 3k for the left door, 1 taramps 3k for the right and 1 audison 4 channel for the highs. Is a problem if my alternator charge only at 14.5?
You would probably be fine with 80AH if you had a bigger alternator. If you stick with the 150A alt, you probably will want at least 120AH.

If you charge at 14.5v you are going to be missing out on a large portion of the cells potential. I would encourage you to get a diode or VCM to increase the voltage, or go with a lower voltage chemistry like Headway/Lifepo4.

My recommendation would be to grab a HO alt from Singer or another reputable seller (15.6v harness included), and the grab 80AH of Yinlong (or some scibs).

You would probably be fine with 80AH if you had a bigger alternator. If you stick with the 150A alt, you probably will want at least 120AH.

If you charge at 14.5v you are going to be missing out on a large portion of the cells potential. I would encourage you to get a diode or VCM to increase the voltage, or go with a lower voltage chemistry like Headway/Lifepo4.

My recommendation would be to grab a HO alt from Singer or another reputable seller (15.6v harness included), and the grab 80AH of Yinlong (or some scibs).
Sure i will upgrade the alternator in the future. But the real question is how much improvement i will gain changing my 4 100ah agm (1 in front 3 rear) to 120ah lto with the same alternator. and the second question is the cable is big enough? 95mm2 from the rear seat lto to the front to the alternator and all the motor stuff? Sorry for my english, i'm italian. Anyway thank you for the answer, i very appreciate your comment.

Sure i will upgrade the alternator in the future. But the real question is how much improvement i will gain changing my 4 100ah agm (1 in front 3 rear) to 120ah lto with the same alternator. and the second question is the cable is big enough? 95mm2 from the rear seat lto to the front to the alternator and all the motor stuff? Sorry for my english, i'm italian. Anyway thank you for the answer, i very appreciate your comment.
With your current AGM setup you could support ~5000w comfortably after amp efficiency. With 120AH of Yinlong with the same alternator you could support ~10,000w comfortably. Obviously you can't defy the laws of thermodynamics so you would eventually drain the lithium bank if you draw 10kW for like 5 minutes straight. But after impedance rise you will probably only get 4-5kW out of the 8k amp, and maybe 3k total for both 3k amps. So I bet you would be totally fine.

95mm2 should be PLENTY thick even if it's CCA wire (about 3/0 gauge iirc). This chart is for OFC wire, so you would want 1/0 minimum for a 150A alternator.

With your current AGM setup you could support ~5000w comfortably after amp efficiency. With 120AH of Yinlong with the same alternator you could support ~10,000w comfortably. Obviously you can't defy the laws of thermodynamics so you would eventually drain the lithium bank if you draw 10kW for like 5 minutes straight. But after impedance rise you will probably only get 4-5kW out of the 8k amp, and maybe 3k total for both 3k amps. So I bet you would be totally fine.

95mm2 should be PLENTY thick even if it's CCA wire (about 3/0 gauge iirc). This chart is for OFC wire, so you would want 1/0 minimum for a 150A alternator.

View attachment 35243
That is simply great. Thank you very much for this precious information, for me this is pure gold. Thank you again Jonny

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...