Fried channel?

Participant count
  • Participant list

2023 LTZ

CarAudio.com Exclusive
USA
So

I’ve been messing around w the system in my impala. Jvc kwv960 12ga speaker wire, 0 ga split at a fused distribution block feeding Rf t400x4 powering focal components in the front and 6x9s in the rear. I wanted to add the Bose 3.5”s back into the mix and was set on this idea. It occurred to me I may have wired these rears wrong. Posted and hijacked some dudes post and was able to decipher series vs parallel wiring in 4 ohm drivers. Theoretically adding a 2 ohm to the mix on each of the rear channels. I chose to believe these Bose are 2 ohm, which when I physically dmmed one it appears to be 4ohm. This is more of a side note but relevant. I believed the system was in full working order. Upon disassembly of the rear deck I seriesed those rears to present the theoretical 6ohm load. Did that and realized then the one channel isn’t working. Upon wiggling the rcas to the rears the thermal light flickered.
I removed each of the rcas in an attempt to see if the rear driver corner would work on another channel but, no. Upon switching rear rcas only the rear passenger side works w either rca in the rear passenger spot.
I’m unsure wtf to do now. I used the dmm to determine the Bose 3.5 show a 4ohm load so in their previous state of 2 4 ohm drivers in parallel presented a 2 ohm load to each of the rear channels.
I changed it to series theoretically presenting an 8 ohm load.
Have I damaged the amp or speakers?
I’m doubtful it’s a connection as everything was solid and was reconnected firmly.

Do you mean pulling the ends and putting them in different locations? Like rear right into rear left etc?
Yup
I’m gonna call Crutchfield tech support and have them run me through diagnostics. I had an issue w the p1000.1 and it’s inversion something. Basically it quit working and got warrantied at Rockford.

Thank the audio gods I may have not blown anything. The Bose 3.5s are 4ohm so I’m going to parallel them back to see if it goes back to normal. It seems unlikely the amp is ruined bc it was pulling maybe 3ohms w the previous setup.

I appreciate the thought provoking insights.

My guess is something got disconnected and that's why you're down a channel.

I wouldn't trust the DMM on those Bose drivers. Bose tends to use high Q drivers, which means the driver has a big peak at FS and that can throw off the DMM. You can try searching an Impala forum and see if anybody there knows the rating on those drivers.

The audio video of the impala forum may have something but those folks may have an opinion based similarly to mine.
I put it back to parallel and it’s as it was before I took it apart.
The missing channel came back.
Hypothetically at 8 ohm it may not be able to distinguish that high of resistance.
My take away; play silly games get silly prizes.
Learned stuff though.
It’s a solid system.

The audio video of the impala forum may have something but those folks may have an opinion based similarly to mine.
I put it back to parallel and it’s as it was before I took it apart.
The missing channel came back.
Hypothetically at 8 ohm it may not be able to distinguish that high of resistance.
My take away; play silly games get silly prizes.
Learned stuff though.
It’s a solid system.
I can guarantee you the amp doesn't care if it sees an 8 ohm load. It might shut down if it sees a load lower than 2 ohms, but anything higher than that and the amp is happy. I'd guess some sort of wiring issue, but I'm glad you're back up and running.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...