Rockford Fosgate DSR1 with a JBL DSP4086 Combo Install

Participant count
  • Participant list

S550 GT

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello Everyone, I wonder if anyone has installed a DSR1 with a DSP4086 8 Channel Amp? My car is a 2017 Mustang GT Premium with Kicker 47KSC3504's in the upper doors, 47KSC6704's in the lower doors and a Pioneer TS-A2000LD2 8" sub in the factory sub box. The center channel and A pillar tweeters are stock. My idea for this install is to send a flat signal from the stock head unit to the DSR1 and then send a flat signal to the DSP4086 amp. I will use the DSP in the 8 x 40 watt channel amp to dial in all the speakers and sub. The DSR1 will give me a seamless install with all the necessary matching connectors to integrate with the factory wiring. It will also allow me to keep all the features of the factory system for Bluetooth and Navigation. The computer interface of the DSP4086 should give me all I need to tune the system perfectly. I plan to send a 16 gauge speaker wire to the Sub and wire it in 4 Ohm for better response. My cart for this install totals $892.

Question - The midrange upper door Kicker speakers share the same speaker feed from the factory wire harness with the A pillar tweeters. Do I use a Tweeter or Midrange selection for the upper front speakers in the DSP? I can use the Woofer selection for the lower door speakers in the DSP.
Mustang Factory Speaker Wiring.png

If anyone is looking for an awesome sound system for an S550 Mustang here is mine. I took my time installing this new sound system in my 2017 Mustang GT. I mounted the JBL DSP4086 along with a DSR1 in the original amp mounting location using the existing bracket from the OEM amp. The 8 channels fit perfectly with this speaker set up in my Mustang. I did install new Hertz DT 24.3 Dieci Series Tweeters with the included DX 100.3 External Crossovers, Focal K2 Power ES 165 KX3 Midrange and Hertz DT 24.3 Woofers in the doors. I used a Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C in the center channel dash and a Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F 8" sub in the stock box in the trunk. I also used Kicker 47KSC6704 Coax speakers in the rear deck. I used Stinger Fast Rings and I put sound deadening in the doors, rear deck, trunk wheel well and truck lid. The only step I couldn't complete by myself was tuning the DSP in the JBL amp. For this I drove from Michigan to Clearwater Florida to have Dean and Fernando from Five Star Car Stereo tune my system. I chose these guys because they are one of the few shops that can use an RTA mic and software to properly tune a DSP. It does require a PC to be connected to the AMP and another PC to see what the system is actually producing with Pink Noise. It took them 3 hours to tune it using time alignment and WOW what a difference. I highly recommend a professional who knows what they are doing to correctly tune a DSP. The results are truly fantastic. The sound is so pure and clean and the bass is really tight. I can turn the volume up with absolutely no distortion. My total cost for this system was $3,000 which included the tuning.

JBL Amp Install6.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...