freind runs 3500 watts on stock alternator???

dood ur so smartz teech me
cool!

edit: i will usually be the first to admit i am wrong if someone proves it to me. there is no better way to learn than to be proved wrong, because you tend to remember it better imo. if you work on something and it frustrates the **** out of you for a good bit, you probably wont forget it again.

im basically saying if your pulling a true 3500 watts, a 105a alt is not going to keep up, ever. n2audio said i didnt comprehend automotive electrical...so i asked him to explain his reasoning.

first thing is first. no one said you were lying. we are saying your being misinformed by your friend. he is probably looking at a max rating and saying its the rms value.
second i ran a ia 20.1 on a new battery and a 200a alternator and i still got dimming. this amp is known to produce roughly 2400w @ .98 ohms. so if i get dimming with that amp AND a 200a alt hmm...

and third, i would love to see ANY 10" JL sub take 3500w for extended periods of time.
That amp doesnt produce that much power dude,IRRC TypeRbass tested it against the kicker and orion 2500.The IA did 1800wrms at 1ohm period.

But yea the whole JL take 3500wrms,thats BS for a fact.

That amp doesnt produce that much power dude,IRRC TypeRbass tested it against the kicker and orion 2500.The IA did 1800wrms at 1ohm period.
But yea the whole JL take 3500wrms,thats BS for a fact.
no it didnt

it produced 1800 @ 2.2 ohms

and

2400+ @ .98 ohms....

i had a talk (email) with nick from IA and he told me every amp hes benched was between 2200 and 2800w

well...technically.

The alternator will only do so much.

You have to take into account the surge that the battery/batteries will supply. If you go by Georges Logic. The most power you would be able to get out of the largest daily alt setup that is reasonable (dual 300 amps) you would only be able to make right over 8kw. And we all know that there are larger systems out there that run more than 8kw daily. I have only a 260amp alternator...but I ran 5kw daily at one point...clamped. How does this work you may ask...its all in the batteries.

well...technically.
The alternator will only do so much.

You have to take into account the surge that the battery/batteries will supply. If you go by Georges Logic. The most power you would be able to get out of the largest daily alt setup that is reasonable (dual 300 amps) you would only be able to make right over 8kw. And we all know that there are larger systems out there that run more than 8kw daily. I have only a 260amp alternator...but I ran 5kw daily at one point...clamped. How does this work you may ask...its all in the batteries.
exactly...i just dont get how n2audio says i cant comprehend automotive electrical...im always willing to learn...

anyone with more experience have an answer as to why my logic is wrong?
It's not. Once the alternator can no longer keep up with the current demands the battery will begin to discharge to help these demands. You can get more current to the amp than what the alternator is rated to produce because of the discharging of the battery.

Sure, if your car doesn't have a battery.

THAT was my point.

Exactly??

Then you should account for a battery capable of supplying several hundred amps at 12v when you bust out the grade school math.
hmm i didnt know "supplying several hundred amps" from a battery wouldnt give you voltage drops....

if you pull more than the alt can put out which is roughly 1400w...then you start draining from the battery. draining from the battery means voltage drops.

voltage drops mean dimming. and if isnt getting ANY dimming he isnt pulling from the battery (most likely or not enough to get a noticeable drop in voltage)

and if your not draining the battery, that means the alt is creating enough power to sustain the electrical.

and if the alt is creating enough power to sustain the electrical that means its pulling less than 105A...which is where my "grade school math" comes in to show him he isnt getting any where near 3500w? is it that hard to understand?

and i need to get over my self //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

It's not. Once the alternator can no longer keep up with the current demands the battery will begin to discharge to help these demands. You can get more current to the amp than what the alternator is rated to produce because of the discharging of the battery.
i realize that Lakota. what im saying is once the battery takes over (especially with as big of a current draw as 3500w can cause) your going to start getting voltage drops. but since the OP says hes getting no dimming what so ever i will assume hes getting no drops (or minimal). just by using deductive reasoning, its impossible to put out 3500w using 105+battery current and getting NO voltage drops (considering those are the 3 things that the OP says are happening)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.