FREE Surround Sound 5.1 & 2.1 Speakers - who's in?

Finally got around to a little listening on some music.

Gonna watch a couple movies before I do the review though.

I hate that I can't get the full 5.1 surround sound as I don't have a preamp with 5.1 preouts so it's essentially just 5 channel stereo, it seems.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that VMI

Finally got around to a little listening on some music.
Gonna watch a couple movies before I do the review though.

I hate that I can't get the full 5.1 surround sound as I don't have a preamp with 5.1 preouts so it's essentially just 5 channel stereo, it seems.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that VMI
In order to get full 5.1, I believe it is required to use all of the appropriate inputs in the back of the system. This means your DVD/Blu-Ray player must have a multi-channel analog/RCA outputs. If you try to play 5.1 via 1x RCA/3.5mm cable, like you noted, it'll be a 5 channel stereo + sub.

I'll confirm this with the product manager.

475781.jpg

Question to all - how important is it for these systems to have the digital optical audio? Would you as a consumer pay an extra $5 to have that input?

Last edited by a moderator:
Boxing mine up to take it to the office, but I did get some preliminary listening tests in. Kinda bummed the USB doesn't charge nor play m iPhone, but I have alternate methods of getting sound out anyway. It'll take a while for my review, but there will be a thread here for in-depth coverage with the summary posted on VMI and Amazon.

Boxing mine up to take it to the office, but I did get some preliminary listening tests in. Kinda bummed the USB doesn't charge nor play m iPhone, but I have alternate methods of getting sound out anyway. It'll take a while for my review, but there will be a thread here for in-depth coverage with the summary posted on VMI and Amazon.
At the moment the USB input only plays media from a flash drive, I'll check with the product manager to see if we can add the functionality to play from a smart phone. You can however use the included 3.5mm cable to play from an iphone/android.

Also, the 5.1 system I'm using charges my android but I haven't tested the iPhone - will report in a few.

At the moment the USB input only plays media from a flash drive, I'll check with the product manager to see if we can add the functionality to play from a smart phone. You can however use the included 3.5mm cable to play from an iphone/android.
Also, the 5.1 system I'm using charges my android but I haven't tested the iPhone - will report in a few.
Yep, not a big deal. I use a JBL dock at work to charge anyway and it has a 3.5mm out so that's what I'll probably end up using most of the time.

The 5.1 I have DID charge my iPhone 5 too.
Nice, man. Wasn't so lucky (no pun intended) on my model. But it's not a dealbreaker since the audio out from the 3.5mm is more than decent.

i just wish the cables were longer. if i didnt already have a HT system i would have had to buy 30+ worth or RCAs and extenders to make it work. fortunatly, even if i had to spend the extra it would still be worth it. in 2.1 mode it literally destroyed my Klipsch Promedia 2.1. the klipsch had slightly more definition in the sub range, but i could only tell when i played my pipe organ music(im a sick bastard, i know.)

and as for inputs, HDMI would be nice as would optical. but im pretty happy with whats on it. if i could change a single thing i would make the cabinet a bit bigger and have it tuned lower. my system appeared to have a tuning of ~40hz

Matt

Matt

Update: just tested your 2.1 system EXCS210 and it did charge both the iPhone 5 and the Android.. What version of iPhone do you have? Perhaps the charging cable wasn't all the way in?

Thank you once again for all these valuable feedback.

Yep, not a big deal. I use a JBL dock at work to charge anyway and it has a 3.5mm out so that's what I'll probably end up using most of the time.

Nice, man. Wasn't so lucky (no pun intended) on my model. But it's not a dealbreaker since the audio out from the 3.5mm is more than decent.

Wow, I missed this entire thread it seems. Great deal for those who won. The system doesn't look to bad, I agree with the optical input or other method of inputs that are more common then separate channels though.

In order to get full 5.1, I believe it is required to use all of the appropriate inputs in the back of the system. This means your DVD/Blu-Ray player must have a multi-channel analog/RCA outputs. If you try to play 5.1 via 1x RCA/3.5mm cable, like you noted, it'll be a 5 channel stereo + sub.
I'll confirm this with the product manager.

475781.jpg

Question to all - how important is it for these systems to have the digital optical audio? Would you as a consumer pay an extra $5 to have that input?
Considering my 5.1 didnt have that at all, yes.

I tested mine over the weekened and was happy with it, but only able to use it 2 channel via 3.5mm.. no USB or any other inputs on mine

(I got the white 5.1 set)

I'll write a review sometime this week after more use of it. But so far I am pleased with the SQ and would say its better than any pair of computer speakers that ive ever owned (expensive logitech etc)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LuckyatVMI

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
LuckyatVMI
Lincoln, NE (VMInnovations HQ)
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date