free air

Slowboarder
10+ year member

hey i have 2 infinity perfect 10's. I am in the process of building a box for them but just to see if i installed my amp correctly i hooked the subs up free air for a couple minutes. It sounds like the subs are distorting.. is this jsut cause they are free air, or did i maybe do somthing wrong with my install im running a hifonics zeus 1000d 325w at 2ohm to each speaker and they handle 350RMS so i dont think they are distorting because i have too much power to them

yep. i do mean you just burnt out the voice coils. there is a VERY GOOD reason why subwoofers NEED A BOX... even if ported.. THEY NEED THAT RESISTENCE..

and that much power going to the coils causes them to heat up.. heat makes fire.. fire on the voice coils causes them to "burn out".... in a sealed box it completly deadens the air inside the box to the point that the heat doesnt get bad, its worse and harder on the sub for ported to, but at least its SOME coverage... same idea as smothering a fire... no air flow, no burn..

you just made me laugh.. haha. sorry man.. that *****.

how hard did you free air them??? how loud i guess.....for how long....they prolly arent blown, but don't be such a fool and do that gain....they are not meant to be played free air....

DUDE HE PUSHED ALMOST FULL POWER!! haha.. 325 rms and i bet he cranked it..

1) the sub wasnt even broken in yet...

2) you DEFINATLY cant run a FRESH sub FREEAIR!!

dude.. that sub or subs are TOAST... nice PAPERWEIGHTS.

yeah, but if the cone still moves freely when you push on it then he may be ok...but if you hear any noise or they are stuck then ha ha i guess....

taylor thats not ALWAYS true.. i had a idqv2 that i burnt out and it didnt make any crackling noises or even sieze up.. but when IN THE BOX wheni pushed on it.. it would THEN give me a strange sound... so i guess he can just build a box and PRAY... haha.

the best part is that you did it to both of them.. not just one... haha.

man how the hell did you burn up idqv2's???? you sound like a gain cranker...maybe you need rockford fosgate.....lol

no i was using memphis amp and it clipped on me.. we guessed that it peaked at almost 2k watts... and i was already pushing it with roughly 400 rms.. just because that amp was overrated.. so when it clipped it blew that thing BAD..

yeah but they are an sq sub man.....i think you are buying the wrong kind of sub for what you are looking for...

by pushing it with 400 rms??? no i got an OVER RATED AMP...

it was teamed with focal utopias and i was trying to push our shop's new line of memphis stuff... over rated isnt always good.

if i wanted a spl sub i'd buy a LVS... i wouldnt even **** with image dynamics.

ease up kid.

and at what point do you know what kind of sub i'm looking for? ME.. not you.. and not your boys.. ME... i've been working at this shop 2 years on and off and i dont know EVERYTHING but i know enough to know what kind of sub i enjoy.. jesus.

and at what point did we STOP talking bout this free air moron and start criticising my choice of amp/sub combo.

some of these people here. bang - zoom... right to the moon.

well obviously if you blew idqv2's then it sounds like you are more of an spl junkie....the only way that amp would clip is if you had the gains way up....set them properly then you wouldn't have clipping...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.