For single sub with possibility of adding a second; purchase 2ohm or 4ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list

AKCoastie
10+ year member

Hawaii
So I already purchased the SD-10 4ohm. This is the best option as compared to getting a 2ohm speaker if I want the option of adding a second speaker later, correct? I understand that lower ohms = more power but I am also looking for clarity. Is my train of thought on the right track?

So I already purchased the SD-10 4ohm. This is the best option as compared to getting a 2ohm speaker if I want the option of adding a second speaker later, correct? I understand that lower ohms = more power but I am also looking for clarity. Is my train of thought on the right track?
Ohms have nothing to do with sound quality (some will argue me and say that they do, but it is so minimal that you don't need to worry about it). They mainly just deal with how much power is going through the amp/sub circuit. Ohms are a unit of resistance, so less resistance = more power (freer flowing).

You should check out the "woofer wiring wizard" (search it on google). It tells you the possible combinations of ways to wire woofers with the different ohm levels available.

A away to quickly figure out what types of impedance (resistance) configurations are available if your sub is DVC (dual voice coil (two pairs of positive/negative leads)) is to take the number of ohms (in your case 4) and either multiply or divide by 2. So if you have 1 DVC 4ohm sub, then you can either wire it to 2 or 8 ohms. If your sub is only SVC (single voice coil) and has 4 ohms per voice coil, then you can only wire it to 4 ohms. If you have more than one sub, then things are different, and I find myself going to the woofer wiring wizard to check.

So now you ask, "Why don't I just go to as little resistance as possible?" Well, to answer that question, not all amps are stable at 1 ohm (or aren't designed to make the most power at 1 ohm). 1 ohm is generally the lowest impedance people go to, and is very common. Less common is 0.5ohm, and is risky to use because almost no manufacturers say that it's safe (and could fry the amp).

So to answer your original question, we need to first know if your sub is SVC or DVC. If it is DVC, then you are in a good position to upgrade because for the moment, you can run your sub at 2 ohms (which is also a common way to do it, and it is what my sub is at right now (mine is DVC 4 ohm)) and then later you can buy the same sub in 4 ohms and wire them to achieve 1 ohm.

Hope this helped. It's a lot of information, so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask until you actually understand it. And PM me if you want.

Great info, thanks! The Sundown Audio SD2-10 is DVC. So I am looking at the Audiopipe AP15001D which states 600w RMS @ 4ohm and 1500w RMS @ 1ohm. The SD2-10 an RMS rating of 500w, although folks on here state that it will handle alot more. If I wire the single SD2-10 into a 2ohm setup, am I risking major damage to the speaker because the amp will be pushing 900ish watts(maybe according to the manufacturer) in a 2ohm configuration? If I run the speaker as an 8ohm setup, will it be power starved because the amp only advertises 600w at 4ohm? Crap this is confusing. Been researching through google but the light hadn't quite clicked on yet, know what I mean.

Great info, thanks! The Sundown Audio SD2-10 is DVC. So I am looking at the Audiopipe AP15001D which states 600w RMS @ 4ohm and 1500w RMS @ 1ohm. The SD2-10 an RMS rating of 500w, although folks on here state that it will handle alot more. If I wire the single SD2-10 into a 2ohm setup, am I risking major damage to the speaker because the amp will be pushing 900ish watts(maybe according to the manufacturer) in a 2ohm configuration? If I run the speaker as an 8ohm setup, will it be power starved because the amp only advertises 600w at 4ohm? Crap this is confusing. Been researching through google but the light hadn't quite clicked on yet, know what I mean.
For future reference, if you "quote" my post, it will give me a notification that you posted something which needs my attention, but I just happen to be looking right here anyways :p

So, I'd say you should run your sub and amp @2ohms, and set the gain with a DMM (digital multimeter). If you set the gain low enough, you will never have to worry about blowing the subwoofer. That goes for speakers as well. There are several videos on you tube showing you how to set your gain with a DMM.

Is this your first subwoofer set up? I can tell you right now that even with one sub on 700-800 watts, all your friends will be like "DUDEEE THAT IS SOOO SIICKKK MANN!!!" I know this because that's what mine say about my one 12" Alpine on 500w hahahahaha. I'm just like, uhhhh sure, thanks bro :p

Do you have a custom box for your sub? If no, then you really NNNEEEDDDD one. It's not even a suggestion. A good sub and good amp are NOTHING without a good box. Box determines how it all sounds. You could have a JLw7 and a 1000 JL HD amp and if it's in a premade box it will still sound like poop.

For future reference, if you "quote" my post, it will give me a notification that you posted something which needs my attention, but I just happen to be looking right here anyways :p
So, I'd say you should run your sub and amp @2ohms, and set the gain with a DMM (digital multimeter). If you set the gain low enough, you will never have to worry about blowing the subwoofer. That goes for speakers as well. There are several videos on you tube showing you how to set your gain with a DMM.

Is this your first subwoofer set up? I can tell you right now that even with one sub on 700-800 watts, all your friends will be like "DUDEEE THAT IS SOOO SIICKKK MANN!!!" I know this because that's what mine say about my one 12" Alpine on 500w hahahahaha. I'm just like, uhhhh sure, thanks bro :p

Do you have a custom box for your sub? If no, then you really NNNEEEDDDD one. It's not even a suggestion. A good sub and good amp are NOTHING without a good box. Box determines how it all sounds. You could have a JLw7 and a 1000 JL HD amp and if it's in a premade box it will still sound like poop.
It's my first real subwoofer setup. I had an el-cheapo set up that I slapped together in highschool. I had no idea what I was doing so, yeah first sub setup. Now that I have some cash and abilities, I would like to have a decent set up. I don't have a custom box yet. Another member might be able to hook me up with a custom single box they were using for there SD2-10 but shipping to HI is what suuuuucks. Haven't looked into someone local making it. Was looking at what it would take to make my own and it was making my head hurt.

It's my first real subwoofer setup. I had an el-cheapo set up that I slapped together in highschool. I had no idea what I was doing so, yeah first sub setup. Now that I have some cash and abilities, I would like to have a decent set up. I don't have a custom box yet. Another member might be able to hook me up with a custom single box they were using for there SD2-10 but shipping to HI is what suuuuucks. Haven't looked into someone local making it. Was looking at what it would take to make my own and it was making my head hurt.
You could always have someone design it for you, and then you just build it. But finding a local might be a good idea.

If you can cut wood to length and glue it together, you can build a box. Get someone to design it for you and just put it together.

For a single 10, the box won't be complicated to make.

If you can cut wood to length and glue it together, you can build a box. Get someone to design it for you and just put it together.
For a single 10, the box won't be complicated to make.
Is there someone on here that does that for a reasonable price?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.